POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Memory Leak in SSE2 b3 : Re: Memory Leak in SSE2 b3 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:19:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory Leak in SSE2 b3
From: Nathan Shomber
Date: 4 May 2005 11:38:00
Message: <4278ec58$1@news.povray.org>
The memory increase appears to be related directly proportionally to the
image size (at least for the blank scene).
ie: +w800 +h600 leads to a 9MB increase
+w8000 +h600 leads to a 90MB increase as does +w800 +h6000.

Perhaps a pixel buffer isn't getting flushed after the file is
saved/displayed/closed?

A slightly Different Issue:

The amount of memory that is allocated and unreturned each render increases
with the number of objects in the scene.  My sample was rendered with "+w1
+h1 +fn"

camera{
    location <1,0,0>
    look_at <0,0,0>
}
//i=100000: 3.7 uses 60MB per render 3.6.1a used up to 87MB but dropped to a
100kB increase.
//i=10000: 3.7 uses 4MB per render 3.6.1a no net increase at all
//i=1000000: 3.7 uses 722MB per render 3.6.1a used 810MB but dropped to
7.7MB once the render finished.
#local i=100000;
#while (i>0)
    #local i=i-1;
    sphere{
        <i,i,i>,.5
    }
#end

Are the objects not being erased from memory in 3.7?

-Nathan