POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : CSG difference with text Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:23:08 EDT (-0400)
  CSG difference with text (Message 11 to 16 of 16)
From: Rune
Subject: Re: CSG difference with text
Date: 1 Jan 2002 17:49:33
Message: <3c323cfd@news.povray.org>
"Thorsten Froehlich" wrote:
> Of course one could change it to some extend at the
> serve penalty of *much* slower rendering.

I don't think it's worth it. The user can always intersect the text object
with a plane to avoid the problem.

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Nov 5)

From: Mike Williams
Date: 2 Feb 2002 03:31:51
Message: <DyP3zCAt$5W8EwL9@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Francois Labreque who wrote:

>Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>
>> In article <3c304eaf@news.povray.org> , "Felix Wiemann"
>> <Fel### [at] gmxnet> wrote:
>>

>>>But the left part of the letter "P" is cut of. It seems to be a
>>>bounding problem.
>>>

>> You may want to check if the font comes with correct bounds for its
>> charaters in a font editor.
>

>As mentioned in my other post, this happens with other fonts as well.  I
>dont think it is dues to the bounding of the font itself as the problem
>is in the Z direction.  Testing with a modified scene shows that the
>problem is that the text isn't "straight".  See image in p.b-t.b.
>
>#include "colors.inc"
>camera{
>     location < 10, 15, -20 >
>     look_at < 10, 0 0 >
>     }
>plane{
>     y, 0
>     pigment{ White }
>     }
>union{
>     box{
>         < -5, -1, 0 > < 25, 20, 20 >
>         pigment{ Gray50 }
>         }
>     text{
>         ttf "timrom" "POV" 0.1 0
>         scale < 10, 10, 100000 >
>         pigment{ Red }
>         }
>     }
>light_source{
>     < -15, 50, -15 >
>     White
>     }

I see that Thorsten now claims that this is a coincident surfaces
problem. I must say it doesn't look like that to me.

I've checked all the other pov primitives, and nothing else is tilted in
this way.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure