POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Known bugs 2 Dec 2001 (beta 8) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:15:16 EDT (-0400)
  Known bugs 2 Dec 2001 (beta 8) (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Mike Williams
Subject: Known bugs 2 Dec 2001 (beta 8)
Date: 1 Dec 2001 23:16:21
Message: <aBQBPBAAmaC8Ew76@econym.demon.co.uk>
KNOWN BUGS

Blob problem (job000189)
and Blob : Toward a solution
(blob surface develops holes when "radius" is very small)
http://news.povray.org/3b99052c@news.povray.org
http://news.povray.org/3B991C90.D715B7A3@free.fr

Superellipsoid epsilon to big ? (job000190)
(strange dark patches occur on a superellipsoid when the east-west-
exponent is set very small)
http://news.povray.org/3b992a81@news.povray.org

Additional (?) blob bug
(blob component disappears when radius is 317 or greater)
http://news.povray.org/Xns9115B92CF7D8ACQ@204.213.191.226
(also reported as: Blob rendering error (job000136))
http://news.povray.org/Xns91203DC7F3CCQ@204.213.191.226

hf_gray_16 + png creates wrong output image (job000173)
(global_settings {hf_gray_16} causes "Cannot open output file")
http://news.povray.org/3BA3BAE6.4671C0BB@free.fr

Small window title bug
(Title switches back to "POV-Ray for Windows" after minimize or
restore.)
http://news.povray.org/3ba92966$1@news.povray.org

Rendering animation (MS Windows) (job000178)
(Message that indicates the frame to be render is displayed AFTER the
rendering.)
http://news.povray.org/3BAC1D0C.74A4A503@free.fr

sin(X)^sin(X) -> crash! (job000179 and job000180)
http://news.povray.org/3baf7992@news.povray.org

Spline bug (job000182)
(The spline path is all wrong when certain time values are used.)
http://news.povray.org/3bb41dc8@news.povray.org

Strange spline problem (job000181)
(Changes from render to render. Control points are sometimes missing.)
http://news.povray.org/Xns9136AC2E64F60seed7@povray.org

Highlight bug (job000137)
(highlights are sometimes visible where they should be in shadow)
http://news.povray.org/3bb4cf08@news.povray.org

Macro bug (job000146)
(POV can dereference a deallocated pointer if you return a local from a
macro.)
http://news.povray.org/3BB4ED11.8EC69CEC@hotmail.com
(also reported as: strings operations crash with both compiles
http://news.povray.org/e3piut8anmf4cli4pnfmstadgc3nleqvb2@4ax.com)

Bug with intersection stack (with crash)(job000175)
http://news.povray.org/5f13rtc0v0rso4fk7lut5e0980qa9g756b@4ax.com

Radiosity sampling, with fix method (job000177)
(radiosity sample counter is reset to the start every time, sampling
artefacts are produced)
http://news.povray.org/3BC5A13E.9C022BD6@reading.ac.uk

Slow rendering when using +ua and antialiasing method 1 (job000191)
(No details available)
http://news.povray.org/3bbf6347@news.povray.org

Delayed syntax checking (job000192)
(declare without the "#" can cause a much later line to fail to parse
Parser will ignore the first token following old-style declares without
a #.)
http://news.povray.org/AM3LOAABMO27EwFh@econym.demon.co.uk

[bug] orthographic camera bug?
(objects sometimes disappear when the orthographic camera is used)
http://news.povray.org/3bdca5eb@news.povray.org

Bug: dispersion_samples affects photon brightness (job000193)
http://news.povray.org/MPG.1631c5fca936293298969e@news.povray.org

Jpeg and memory problem during animations (job000194)
(It seems that some memory is not properly released between frames when
a jpeg file is used)
http://news.povray.org/3be2ef0d@news.povray.org

Bug with blobs and media
(possibly related to  blob surface develops holes when "radius" is very
small)
http://news.povray.org/3be5f0b2@news.povray.org

Render Window Bug
(Render window pops up when application minimised, after which the
application doesn't open when clicked on the task bar.)
http://news.povray.org/3bde157e@news.povray.org

Another strange photon behavior (job000195)
(a: bright colored caustics. b: holes/circular black spots)
http://news.povray.org/MPG.16510f3e44067d3f9896ae@news.povray.org

panoramic projection bug? (job000196)
(When "angle" keyword within camera statement appears after "panoramic"
keyword then looks like ignored.)
http://news.povray.org/avnfut8fof5ualgf8hnrtpl1knlg8828sp@4ax.com

Alpha problems: text is not antialiased (job000187)
(black objects are not antialiased on Unix and Windows versions, alpha
is not correctly output on Mac)
http://news.povray.org/3bea5a84$1@news.povray.org

Black outline in smooth meshes
(The outline of smooth meshes exhibit black dots or areas (which go away
with double_illuminate))
http://news.povray.org/3bf6794e$1@news.povray.org

User_Abort_Command
(User_Abort_Command does not seem to work at all)
http://news.povray.org/Xns913D9F7268736seed7@povray.org

First report from bugreports
http://news.povray.org/u12outsm2kso3k5ef4lp26ogm5cvsm46ge@4ax.com

Re: trivial question on topic
(Poly Object Bug: heart has a dark line of artifacts)
http://news.povray.org/3BEBEB4C.CA854309@pacbell.net

Camera is off by half a pixel
http://news.povray.org/3bccc696@news.povray.org

Light_sources in light_groups don't cast shadows
(rendering without light buffers (-UL) puts the shadows back)
http://news.povray.org/3bfd4d63@news.povray.org

Save during render
(is very slow)
http://news.povray.org/jhaiduce@engin.umich.edu

double_illuminate only works with direct lighting
http://news.povray.org/3BF6F1FE.D21B0C6@oreka.com

no_image, merge and shadows
(setting no_image to an object in a merge causes that object to stop
casting shadows)
http://news.povray.org/vqfd0ucm5276q9j8sdh34afjliapc1kj0n@4ax.com

Isosurfaces *much* slower in beta 7?
(isosurfaces with "evaluate" are now very slow)
(was said to be fixed in next beta, but isn't fixed in beta 8)
http://news.povray.org/3bdf24b3$1@news.povray.org

rand.inc VRand_In_Sphere flaw
(VRand_In_Sphere doesn't give uniform distribution)
(was said to be fixed in next beta, but isn't fixed in beta 8)
http://news.povray.org/3bc64790$1@news.povray.org

problem with normals/functions: crash!
(if an isosurface is the first function parsed, then things go horribly
wrong)
http://news.povray.org/MPG.16724448f4beb4ad9896c3@news.povray.org

Isosurface : 2 bugs
(int() causes crash)
http://news.povray.org/3c082dbe@news.povray.org

IsoCacti.pov
(displays 754 evaluate warnings, most with incorrect values)
http://news.povray.org/3c08c36c$1@news.povray.org

        BUGS FIXED IN BETA 8

marble + turbulence bug
(marble turbulence now looks very different)
http://news.povray.org/Xns914AC563F6C36seed7@povray.org

function re-declaration crash
(Intel compilation only: previously reported as "loop bug" for beta 5)
(also causes crackle2.pov and crackle3.pov to crash under the Intel
compile)
http://news.povray.org/3bdfcdf7@news.povray.org

Are '&' and '|' switched?
(when used in a function operating on numbers they have the opposite
effect)
http://news.povray.org/Xns9128A184570B3seed7@povray.org

function(a){a<=0} returns the wrong value when a=0
http://news.povray.org/Xns9128A519E6F15seed7@povray.org

When outputting to PNG, the wrong gamma correction value is written
http://news.povray.org/3be12811@news.povray.org

agate pattern broken
(different results with intel and msvc compile)
http://news.povray.org/3BE46299.421893B7@gmx.de

Bug with declaration with no dimensions
http://news.povray.org/scpitt851apfq5r6qtsoi1vpupt77g829s@4ax.com

Status line bug
(status line keeps saying "Parsing..." instead of telling me what the
error was)
http://news.povray.org/3bde062f@news.povray.org

WinPov crash with too many max_gradient warnings
(previously reported as: "[Bug] Output of too many evaluations cause
strange behavior", but it didn't actually crash beta 4 or  beta 5)
http://news.povray.org/3BE026F0.B59858FA@gmx.de

Using charset sys crashes povray
http://news.povray.org/3bfb4d8c@news.povray.org

Marble + Turbulence + Isosurface ( bug ? )
(turbulent marble looks very different when the rays pass through or
close to an isosurface)
http://news.povray.org/3c065976@news.povray.org

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

In article <aBQ### [at] econymdemoncouk> , Mike Williams
<mik### [at] nospamplease>  wrote:

> Isosurfaces *much* slower in beta 7?
> (isosurfaces with "evaluate" are now very slow)
> (was said to be fixed in next beta, but isn't fixed in beta 8)
> http://news.povray.org/3bdf24b3$1@news.povray.org

It is fixed.  The other problems with isosurfaces may obscure the fix in
scenes which exhibit the other problem as well.

> problem with normals/functions: crash!
> (if an isosurface is the first function parsed, then things go horribly
> wrong)
> http://news.povray.org/MPG.16724448f4beb4ad9896c3@news.povray.org
>
> Isosurface : 2 bugs
> (int() causes crash)
> http://news.povray.org/3c082dbe@news.povray.org
>
> IsoCacti.pov
> (displays 754 evaluate warnings, most with incorrect values)
> http://news.povray.org/3c08c36c$1@news.povray.org

All the same problem.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany