POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Isosurface : 2 bugs Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:32:49 EDT (-0400)
  Isosurface : 2 bugs (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: R  Suzuki
Subject: Isosurface : 2 bugs
Date: 30 Nov 2001 20:09:18
Message: <3c082dbe@news.povray.org>
1. '|' and '&'
 According to POV-Help 6.5.4.4.1&2, the operator '|' means merge
 and '&' means intersection.
 But these operators don't work properly on beta 8.
 For example, following isosurface is not the intersection
 of two spheres.
   isosurface{
     function { f_sphere(x,y,z,1) & f_sphere(x+0.5,y,z,1)}
   }

 These were ok on beta 7.

2. 'int()'
 The function 'int()' does not work in isosurface.
 Try the following isosurface.
   isosurface{
      function { int(0.5)}
      threshold 0.5
   }

 POV-Ray crashes on my PC.
 POV-Ray for Windows 3.5 beta 8, Windows Me, Celeron 600MHz

R. Suzuki

Post a reply to this message

> According to POV-Help 6.5.4.4.1&2, the operator '|' means merge
> and '&' means intersection.
> But these operators don't work properly on beta 8.
> For example, following isosurface is not the intersection
> of two spheres.
>   isosurface{
>     function { f_sphere(x,y,z,1) & f_sphere(x+0.5,y,z,1)}
>   }
>
> These were ok on beta 7.
>
>2. 'int()'
> The function 'int()' does not work in isosurface.
> Try the following isosurface.
>   isosurface{
>      function { int(0.5)}
>      threshold 0.5
>   }
>
> POV-Ray crashes on my PC.
> POV-Ray for Windows 3.5 beta 8, Windows Me, Celeron 600MHz

I confirm these, but will entertain suggestions that #1 might be
mathematically correct as long as the intersection and merge of
isosurfaces now get documented this way round.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

>  According to POV-Help 6.5.4.4.1&2, the operator '|' means merge
>  and '&' means intersection.
>  But these operators don't work properly on beta 8.
>  For example, following isosurface is not the intersection
>  of two spheres.

The operators work as designed, the documentation hasn't been updated.  The
operators don't mean merge or interesection.  Unse min and max.  Or if there
is demand, I could add a difference and an intersection function (with two
or more arguments!).

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

> The operators work as designed, the documentation hasn't been updated.
The
> operators don't mean merge or interesection.  Unse min and max.  Or if
there
> is demand, I could add a difference and an intersection function (with two
> or more arguments!).

I used these operators as geometric operators in the isosurface patch
because it seems to be common in this field.
See http://wwwcis.k.hosei.ac.jp/~F-rep/HF_oper.html

If those are not allowed, how about "iso_union(A, B, C, D, ...)" and
"iso_intersection(A, B, C, D, ...)".

R. Suzuki

Post a reply to this message