POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Field rendering status Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:26:46 EDT (-0400)
  Field rendering status (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: Jon A  Cruz
Subject: Field rendering status
Date: 27 Oct 2001 14:30:26
Message: <3BDAFCBA.3E20163C@geocities.com>
Soo.....

After looking into it again, I think it's clear that POV-Ray is doing
things a little bit halfway compared to other 3D & video packages.

However, my off-hand guess is that it would take a bit of work to get
things to save two fields per one file. :-(

So, does this then chang it from a bug to "works as designed", and thus
changing it becomes a feature-request instead of a bug-fix?

If it's WAD, I could probably write up a new bit for the docs to explain
it better.

--
Jon A. Cruz
http://www.geocities.com/joncruz/action.html

Post a reply to this message

> After looking into it again, I think it's clear that POV-Ray is doing
> things a little bit halfway compared to other 3D & video packages.
>
> However, my off-hand guess is that it would take a bit of work to get
> things to save two fields per one file. :-(
>
> So, does this then chang it from a bug to "works as designed", and thus
> changing it becomes a feature-request instead of a bug-fix?
>
> If it's WAD, I could probably write up a new bit for the docs to explain
> it better.

Well, POV-Ray could automatically use half the clock step size and thus
generate as many frames as expected (twice as many as it does not)...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

I imagine it would be very hard to fix this, because POV would have to parse
what is internally two separate scenes for a single frame.

Someone needs to write a program that will take the output images and
combine them as necessary. =)

- Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]
[ http://www.slimeland.com/images/ ]

"Jon A. Cruz" <jon### [at] geocitiescom> wrote in message
> Soo.....
>
> After looking into it again, I think it's clear that POV-Ray is doing
> things a little bit halfway compared to other 3D & video packages.
>
> However, my off-hand guess is that it would take a bit of work to get
> things to save two fields per one file. :-(
>
> So, does this then chang it from a bug to "works as designed", and thus
> changing it becomes a feature-request instead of a bug-fix?
>
> If it's WAD, I could probably write up a new bit for the docs to explain
> it better.
>

> --
> Jon A. Cruz
> http://www.geocities.com/joncruz/action.html

Post a reply to this message

> After looking into it again, I think it's clear that POV-Ray is doing
> things a little bit halfway compared to other 3D & video packages.
>
> However, my off-hand guess is that it would take a bit of work to get
> things to save two fields per one file. :-(
>
> So, does this then chang it from a bug to "works as designed", and thus
> changing it becomes a feature-request instead of a bug-fix?

Two fields per file is a BAD idea. Where is the gain when one would only
want to rerender the odd fields
(on one computer, and the even fields on another).

When doing fields thing, at 25fps, I believe it's normal to have to provide
50 files per second. The content of each file may have to be adapted for
the current animation softwares, but that's another story.

Post a reply to this message