POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Objects-Vanish with Focal-Blur: Problem line found! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:21:10 EDT (-0400)
  Objects-Vanish with Focal-Blur: Problem line found! (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Tim Nikias
Subject: Objects-Vanish with Focal-Blur: Problem line found!
Date: 8 Apr 2002 17:16:54
Message: <3CB208DA.F6FD2092@gmx.de>
So, I've worked some more at the focal-blur
missing-objects-bug. After doing some more
stuff, a new bug popped up. Now, objects
are traced incorrectly (media missing, highlights
missing, shading incorrect), and the effect varies
when changing only a translate-Value!

The actual code was something like
object{X rotate A rotate B translate C}

where C was something like
vnormalize(Position)*(.25+Length*1.25)

Changing vnormalize(Position) to

Position/Formerly_Calculated_vlength

resulted in the incorrectly rendered area moving
to an other position.
Also, when using focal blur, entire bunches of
objects disappear, AND some are just plain
cut off! The edges are then traced blurred... The
image entitled "Focal-Blur+Translate" that
shows this is found in the beta-test.binaries.

I have absolutely no clue, what this is all about.
When removing the translate-line, the scene
seems to render correctly, though I haven't
tested that with focal-blur yet.

I'll be posting image-variations of this bug with
some minor description on actual changes in
scene-file as follow-ups to that image.

Sooooo... I'm getting kinda frustrated, because
the scene is supposed to become a present, but with
all those bugs, I can't achieve the realism I wanted, yet
alone finish some sort of scene (with objects disappearing).

I'm not pushing, just expressing my motives, don't
take it personally. I have said many times, and am about
to once again, that I really appreciate the work the
POV-Team does, but right now I'm kinda sad... :-(

And I said sad, not angry!

--
Tim Nikias

Date: 9 Apr 2002 08:58:29
Message: <3cb2e575@news.povray.org>
Hi Tim,

since I don't have much time left within a week, I couldn't really follow
the whole thread about your problems. But reading your lates posting just
brought up one idea:

I know that your'e working with meshes with smoothed triangles (as I did
with the fern). Have you ever tried to create the triangles as stand-alone
objects and not as part of a mesh? If there are problems with the triangles
(e.g. normals) you'll see a message. When using a mesh the triangles are
dropped silently.
It is a simple test with low effort (simply remove the mesh {} keyword) so I
thought you may to try it.
If you already verified that and it gave no further result, please excuse
me. As I mentioned, I didn't follow up the full thread.

regards
SY

Post a reply to this message