POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Objects-Vanish with Focal-Blur: Problem line found! : Re: Objects-Vanish with Focal-Blur: Problem line found! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:19:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Objects-Vanish with Focal-Blur: Problem line found!
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 9 Apr 2002 11:37:58
Message: <3CB30AEB.6FD5CC3D@gmx.de>
Hi!

I tested your suggestion, and yes, it does
work. But comparing 240MB Peak memory
to 1.6MB is something to think about, right?

Also, its not that just some triangles are missing
due to bad normals (though using your technique,
message window tells me there are some degenerate triangles
floating around), its that whole instances (object{}-placed)
of the mesh disappear, and some other are just cut off
above a certain line/height (I haven't found yet if
it is a certain line, or better, a certain percentage of
"viewing screen", or a certain height in POV).
Sometimes object simply vanish, at other times, they're
shaded incorrectly, or the interior is sort of messed up
(there, but weaker/stronger than when working
normally).

I am getting to the point of concluding that the bug is
somewhat the same as the one I posted on 17.03,
entitled "Media Bug (no media, only black objects appear)", because
I've just spotted a "version" of the image, where I can see
through other objects that lie behind the missing
meshes.

I'm still investigating all this, but I haven't found
any related bug yet. Also, I am really sad to find
that only one single person tried to confirm the
media-bug. I thought beta-testing was sort of a
group-effort, but I'm standing pretty much alone,
or at least I have that feeling.
Well, except for your answer and the Confirmant,
Peter Popov.

--
Tim Nikias