POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Orthographic support broken Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:18:39 EDT (-0400)
  Orthographic support broken (Message 1 to 10 of 26)
From: Rune
Subject: Orthographic support broken
Date: 18 Jan 2002 16:07:36
Message: <3c488e98@news.povray.org>
The support of the "shortcut" orthographic camera is broken in beta 10. It
used to be possible to control the field of view of the orthographic camera
by specifying the orthographic keyword in the end of the camera definition.
This feature has only partly been preserved. Moving the orthographic keyword
to the start does *not* give the same results!

Before, the field of view could be controlled by moving the camera location
back and forth. That has no effect in beta 10. Changing the angle works, but
only if the angle is specified after the look_at vector (it seems).
Otherwise it has no effect and no error is generated either.

My most common way of using the orthographic camera was like this:

camera {location -5.5*z orthographic}

By now there's no way to control the viewing area that simple as far as I
can see.

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Jan 2)

"Rune" <run### [at] mobilixnetdk> wrote in message
> The support of the "shortcut" orthographic camera is broken in beta 10. It
> used to be possible to control the field of view of the orthographic
camera
> by specifying the orthographic keyword in the end of the camera
definition.
> This feature has only partly been preserved. Moving the orthographic
keyword
> to the start does *not* give the same results!
>
> Before, the field of view could be controlled by moving the camera
location
> back and forth. That has no effect in beta 10. Changing the angle works,
but
> only if the angle is specified after the look_at vector (it seems).
> Otherwise it has no effect and no error is generated either.
>
> My most common way of using the orthographic camera was like this:
>
> camera {location -5.5*z orthographic}
>
> By now there's no way to control the viewing area that simple as far as I
> can see.

orthographic is meant to use right and up keywords to set field of view; in
fact, any other way would seem like the wrong way to me, seeing as how the
projection type is parallel.  Just more logical that the projection type be
stated in one place and not change anything dependant upon place stated,
IMHO anyhow.

bob h

Post a reply to this message