POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : More minor, minor doc issues Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:22:39 EDT (-0400)
  More minor, minor doc issues (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: Anders K
Subject: More minor, minor doc issues
Date: 17 Sep 2001 11:29:34
Message: <3ba616de$1@news.povray.org>
These are just a few minor things I've noticed when looking through the docs
(beta 2).

In the index tab:
Lots of the index links take me just below a section heading. For
example, the first entry in the index, "#break". Shouldn't they take
me just above the section heading instead?

When I double-click on most of the index items, the "Locate",
"Previous", and "Next" buttons become disabled, which is slightly
annoying.

Lots of the index entries are redundant (for example, "#default" and
"#default directive"). I suppose this doesn't really matter though;
better too many than too few! :-)

In source from HTML pages:
> </head>
> <a name="target_nnnn">
> </head><body bgcolor="#ffffff">
  ^^^^^^^
The </head> tag appears to be duplicated in every HTML page. (I know,
it's none of my business. :-))

In Section 6.0, "Scene Description Language":
> For details on those five items see section "Language Directives",
> section "Objects",
           ^^^^^^^
The link here only includes Object and not the s, and the link points
to "References to 'object'", instead of section 6.5 as it should.

In Section 7.13.4, "shapesq.inc":
> Bicorn
>     [...]
>     y^2 - (x^2 + z^2) y^2 - (x^2 + z^2 + 2 y - 1)^2 =

Equals what? :-)

> Torus_40_12 Torus having major radius sqrt(40), minor radius
> sqrt(12).

Should be two seperate lines to be consistent.

> Sinsurf
>     [...] For best results, scale by something like <1 1 0.2>.

Should probably be <1, 1, 0.2>.

In Section 7.18.3, "Woods:" (the colons from these section titles
probably shouldn't be here, for consistency):
> Dark_Wood
>     Dark wood with a,ish hue to it.

Huh? :-)

MISSING HTML LINKS
In these cases, the text pointed to should probably be a link, but
isn't.

In Section 1.5, "Using the Internal Editor":
> (CodeMax from WinMain software - http://www.winmain.com/)
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
In Section 1.11.8, "Bug Reporting via our News Server"
> See http://www.povray.org/groups.html for information about [...]
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
In Section 8.2.1, "Contacting the authors":
> [...] via the internet at http://www.povray.org/.
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
In Section 8.3.1.3, "Apple  Macintosh" (the section title appears to
contain a double space):
> Apple's web site <http://developer.apple.com/sdk/>
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
In Section 8.3.2.1, "World Wide Website www.povray.org"
> For more information about the server see
> http://www.povray.org/groups.html.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
In Section 8.3.2.2, "Books, Magazines and CD-ROMs"
> You can always find the latest information on what is available at
> our web site www.povray.org.
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

PRESENT TENSE REFERENCES TO EARLIER VERSIONS

In Section 3.4.13, Text Object:
> Now, for POV-Ray 3.0, a new primitive has been introduced that can
> use any TrueType font to create text objects.

In Section 6.1.3.2, "Float Identifiers", Section 6.1.4.2, "Vector
Identifiers", and Section 6.1.5.3, "Color Identifiers":
> This semi-colon is new with POV-Ray version 3.1.

In Section 6.2.2.1, "Declaring identifiers" (should this be
capitalized?), and Section 6.2.5, "The #version Directive":
> This semi-colon is introduced in POV-Ray version 3.1.

In Section 6.2.6, "Conditional Directives":
> POV-Ray 3.0 allows a variety of new language directives to
> implement conditional parsing [...]

In Section 6.5, "Objects":
> The "Interior" is a feature introduced in POV-Ray 3.1.

In Section 6.6, "Interior":
> Introduced in POV-Ray 3.1 is an object modifier statement called
> interior.

In Section 6.11.3.2, "Image File Gamma":
> The new PNG format files generated by POV-Ray 3.0 overcome the
> problem of too much or not enough gamma correction [...]

Anders

Post a reply to this message