POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : More minor, minor doc issues : Re: More minor, minor doc issues Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:19:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More minor, minor doc issues
From: Glen Berry
Date: 20 Sep 2001 00:00:41
Message: <SF+pO+3qPmm8ydgkqlqFaoeQDhih@4ax.com>
On Tue, 18 Sep 2001 17:26:03 -0400, "Anders K." <and### [at] f2scom>
wrote:

>> > Lots of the index links take me just below a section heading. For
>> > example, the first entry in the index, "#break". Shouldn't they take
>> > me just above the section heading instead?
>>
>> Do you have ActiveX disabled ?
>
>No, but why would ActiveX change the place in the page that the links point
>to?

I get the same sort of behaviour. The index link for "pi" is even
worse. It seems to make no difference whether I enable ActiveX or not.

I must admit that until I installed POV 3.5, I didn't use Internet
Exploder for anything, and I only installed IE5 to have access to the
POV help files. I saw several settings in the "Internet Security"
menus that affected ActiveX. I tried changing all of them, and I
couldn't change the behaviour of POV's help system. I suppose it's
possible that I didn't change the proper setting in some menu,
somewhere, but I doubt it.

<The following is margainly on topic for this thread, but I felt it
needed to be said.>

For what it's worth, I really don't like having POV-Ray rely on
Internet Explorer at all. My computer and I lived very happily without
IE5, and had intended to do so for the rest of eternity - until POV
3.5 for Windows came out, at least.

It's almost as bad as when I recently tried to update Norton
Anti-Virus and it wanted me to install some sort of Windows Scripting
(or something like that), just so Norton Anti-Virus could protect me
from it! Now I can't upgrade my virus checker any more, without adding
this additional Microsoft "junk" software to my system, which I'll
never use, only so Norton can try its best to protect me from it.

Overall, The POV-Team has done an excellent job with POV-Ray for
Windows 3.5, and I certainly appreciate their efforts. I just wanted
to be on record as not appreciating this particular aspect of the
POV-Ray help implementation.

Thanks for reading,
Glen