POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Western Wheel calculations Server Time
28 Mar 2024 05:31:30 EDT (-0400)
  Western Wheel calculations (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Western Wheel calculations
Date: 29 Jul 2015 21:40:00
Message: <web.55b9804e97eff9955e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
So, I would normally just puzzle this out myself, but it's 98 degrees here
(Fahrenheit, not rotationally  ;)  ) and my gray matter is cooked.

Anyway, concerning the "Western Wheel" problem:
http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/animate/anim13e.htm

I have a gear that turns 7 times in 37 frames.
(it drives a gear that turns once per 7 revolutions, I'm doing a quick "36"
frames, and cyclic animation is on - so it's 37)
It has 5 spokes, and 55 gear teeth.

I'm assuming I take 360 degrees, then divide by 55 teeth, and multiply by 7
revolutions to get the total apparent movement of a tooth.  Then divide by 37
frames to find the "apparent movement" of a tooth between frames in degrees.

The "Western Wheel limit" is half of the span between teeth per frame, so that
would be (360/55)/2.

If the first calculation is correct, then if it's less than the limit, I
shouldn't get the undesired visual effect.  Correct?

Could someone check my logic / math?

Thanks  :)

Post a reply to this message

Le 30/07/2015 03:39, Bald Eagle a écrit :

> So, I would normally just puzzle this out myself, but it's 98 degrees here
> (Fahrenheit, not rotationally  ;)  ) and my gray matter is cooked.
>
> Anyway, concerning the "Western Wheel" problem:
> http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/animate/anim13e.htm
>
> I have a gear that turns 7 times in 37 frames.
> (it drives a gear that turns once per 7 revolutions, I'm doing a quick "36"
> frames, and cyclic animation is on - so it's 37)
> It has 5 spokes, and 55 gear teeth.

37 frames, but 36 movements, before repetition ? or 37 distinct moves
(between frame n and n+1) and frame 38 is identical to frame 1 ?

I always get confused by that fence problem.

> I'm assuming I take 360 degrees, then divide by 55 teeth, and multiply by 7
> revolutions to get the total apparent movement of a tooth.  Then divide by 37
> frames to find the "apparent movement" of a tooth between frames in degrees.
>
> The "Western Wheel limit" is half of the span between teeth per frame, so that
> would be (360/55)/2.
>
> If the first calculation is correct, then if it's less than the limit, I
> shouldn't get the undesired visual effect.  Correct?

You mean the visual effect of the wheel moving backward when rolling
forward ?

I'm not sure my eyes wouldn't rather spot the spokes than the teeth.

You can also help my poor brain by having a spottable unique feature on
wheel (such as a valve or a big mark/hole), easier to track

> Could someone check my logic / math?
>
> Thanks  :)

Post a reply to this message