POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Western Wheel calculations : Re: Western Wheel calculations Server Time
17 Apr 2024 21:28:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Western Wheel calculations
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 30 Jul 2015 07:15:00
Message: <web.55ba06b5231eda285e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <lef### [at] freefr> wrote:

> 37 frames, but 36 movements, before repetition ? or 37 distinct moves
> (between frame n and n+1) and frame 38 is identical to frame 1 ?

cyclic = on keeps the end frame and the starting frame from being identical and
"jolting when it hits that double-frame in the playback loop

> You mean the visual effect of the wheel moving backward when rolling
> forward ?

Correct.

> I'm not sure my eyes wouldn't rather spot the spokes than the teeth.

It will spot both - especially when the spokes seem to be moving forward and the
gear teeth moving in the opposite direction!

> You can also help my poor brain by having a spottable unique feature on
> wheel (such as a valve or a big mark/hole), easier to track

There an extension on one spoke with a crank handle - can't miss it!  :D
I'll likely also have some type of texturing, such that those small features are
asymmetric, and the eye will follow it all better.

So many other things to do - so little time to POV lately.