POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Western Wheel calculations : Re: Western Wheel calculations Server Time
25 Apr 2024 04:23:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Western Wheel calculations
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 30 Jul 2015 14:10:01
Message: <web.55ba67dd231eda285e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
OK, so the problem and its solution is clearer in my heat-addled brain.

I figured at some point I had to take into account the movement of an element
(spoke or tooth) by a multiple of the distance between adjacent elements.
So I used mod() to give me the remainder, and compared this number of degrees to
half the distance between adjacent elements.

I send that all out to a debug stream and get the data below - but it's wrong.
I get the Western Wheel effect with the gear teeth even though my calcs and the
"1/2 distance" theory agree.

Also, is "clock_delta" busticated in 3.7?  It never registers any value other
than zero over all 37 frames.

:(

I use:
#declare Degrees = clock * 360;
and
// ROTATION FOR ANIMATION
// Clockwise = Negative
 rotate <0, 0, -(Degrees*7)>

Animation Information:
Number of frames: 37.0
Clock  Delta: 0.0

Wheel2652: 55.0
Degrees between teeth: 6.55
Gear tooth movement between frames: 68.1 degrees
Multiple: 10.405
Western Wheel limit between frames: 3.27 degrees
0.405 x 6.55 = 2.65
 10 x 6.545 = 65.455 + Remainder: (2.65) = 68.1 degrees
2.65 is less than 3.27
OK - Normal Movement

Wheel2652A: 5.0 (spokes)
Degrees between teeth: 72.00
Gear tooth movement between frames: 68.1 degrees
Multiple: 0.946
Western Wheel limit between frames: 36.00 degrees
0.946 x 72.00 = 68.11
  0 x 72.000 = 0.000 + Remainder: (68.11) = 68.1 degrees
greater than 36.00
*** Western Wheel problem ***