POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Multiple Transparent Boxes Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:34:40 EDT (-0400)
  Multiple Transparent Boxes (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Redjack
Subject: Multiple Transparent Boxes
Date: 9 Jan 2005 14:05:00
Message: <web.41e17fe83075faa395e2d46a0@news.povray.org>
Hi there !
I use 25 successive transparent boxes with different IOR's to simulate a
desert mirage ... The problem I get is that although I set transmit 1 I
have a vast diminuition in light intensity.
I would appreciate any piece of advice you got! If i haven't stated the
problem clear enough, please ask !
Thanx a lot,
Redjack

Post a reply to this message

> I use 25 successive transparent boxes with different IOR's to simulate a
> desert mirage ... The problem I get is that although I set transmit 1 I
> have a vast diminuition in light intensity.
> I would appreciate any piece of advice you got! If i haven't stated the

  That was one of the first (if not the first) entry added to the Q&T page:

http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/languageQandT.html#maxtracelevel

> I use 25 successive transparent boxes with different IOR's to simulate a
> desert mirage ... The problem I get is that although I set transmit 1 I
> have a vast diminuition in light intensity.
> I would appreciate any piece of advice you got! If i haven't stated the
> problem clear enough, please ask !
> Thanx a lot,
> Redjack

without knowing the details of your .pov code, it is hard to say
exactly what the cause of this problem could be ... but a hunch
tells me you might want to increase the max_trace_level seitting
in your global_settings block.

Post a reply to this message

bob <roc### [at] almostbestwebnet> wrote:
> Redjack wrote:
> > Hi there !
> > I use 25 successive transparent boxes with different IOR's to simulate a
> > desert mirage ... The problem I get is that although I set transmit 1 I
> > have a vast diminuition in light intensity.
> > I would appreciate any piece of advice you got! If i haven't stated the
> > problem clear enough, please ask !
> > Thanx a lot,
> > Redjack
> >

> without knowing the details of your .pov code, it is hard to say
> exactly what the cause of this problem could be ... but a hunch
> tells me you might want to increase the max_trace_level seitting
> in your global_settings block.

Thank you guys for your stunning speed of response :)

I have read that one in the FAQ, but it is not the problem I got.
Actually, I have max_trace_level 256 which is the maximum (and even
adc_bailout 0) ...

The important piece of code is the following:

#declare Counter=0;
#while(Counter<25)
box{
<-40,-1-(Counter+1)*0.8,3>,<40,-1-Counter*0.8,-20>
texture{pigment{transmit 1}}
interior{ior 1.5-0.005*Counter
photons{target collect off refraction on reflection on}
}
#declare Counter=Counter+1;
#end

As to my understanding, I should be creating 25 0.8 units thick boxes lying
on top of each other. The ray should pass through each of them, being bent
successively. There should be no intensity loss due to transmit 1 ... that
is what I have been thinking... :)
Do you have an idea what could have gone wrong ?

Post a reply to this message

> <-40,-1-(Counter+1)*0.8,3>,<40,-1-Counter*0.8,-20>

This gives you coincident surfaces, since the front of one box is at the
same place as the back of the next.

> As to my understanding, I should be creating 25 0.8
> units thick boxes lying on top of each other.

Correct, but you have to make a tiny gab between them to avoid coincident
surfaces. :)

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com

"Rune" <run### [at] runevisioncom> wrote:
> Redjack wrote:
> > #declare Counter=0;
> > #while(Counter<25)
> > box{
> > <-40,-1-(Counter+1)*0.8,3>,<40,-1-Counter*0.8,-20>
>
> This gives you coincident surfaces, since the front of one box is at the
> same place as the back of the next.
>
> > As to my understanding, I should be creating 25 0.8
> > units thick boxes lying on top of each other.
>
> Correct, but you have to make a tiny gab between them to avoid coincident
> surfaces. :)
>
> Rune
> --
> 3D images and anims, include files, tutorials and more:
> rune|vision:  http://runevision.com
> POV-Ray Ring: http://webring.povray.co.uk

Now that should settle it :) Thanks a lot ! I'll try this evening and report
my success (or not ;))

Post a reply to this message