POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : deletion during rendering of large objects Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:20:38 EDT (-0400)
  deletion during rendering of large objects (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: hans
Subject: deletion during rendering of large objects
Date: 14 Mar 2005 11:45:01
Message: <web.4235bf2e2a7923a299761390@news.povray.org>
Hi Folks,
I am interested in simulating coil structures. These are basically randomly
curved cylinders. I am using a program that is doing surface subdivision of
the object into smooth triangles. Providing me with a povray input script
that can reach up to 100.000 lines. So fare so good. I can rotate,
translate and render without a problem. Also defining objects consisting
out of 8 coils is possible. However, trying to group 10 coils is causing
problems. There is no error appearing during rendering but in the final
picture some coil parts are not displayed.

It would be very helpful if somebody could comment on this problem?
Thanks and cheers
Hans

Post a reply to this message

>I am interested in simulating coil structures. These are basically randomly
>curved cylinders. I am using a program that is doing surface subdivision of
>the object into smooth triangles. Providing me with a povray input script
>that can reach up to 100.000 lines. So fare so good. I can rotate,
>translate and render without a problem. Also defining objects consisting
>out of 8 coils is possible. However, trying to group 10 coils is causing
>problems. There is no error appearing during rendering but in the final
>picture some coil parts are not displayed.
>
>It would be very helpful if somebody could comment on this problem?
>Thanks and cheers
>Hans

My guess is that it's unlikely that it has anything to do with the size
of the objects. I've used POVRay to render scenes with over 20 billion
smooth triangles (I actually used mesh2, but that's unlikely to be
significant) using lots of copies of objects each that have up to 138000
lines of code.

Do your objects involve transparent bits that might be exceeding the
max_trace_level?

If you're using manual bounding, or doing anything at all unusual with
the bounding, try removing it.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

Mike Williams <nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote:
> Wasn't it hans who wrote:
> >Hi Folks,
> >I am interested in simulating coil structures. These are basically randomly
> >curved cylinders. I am using a program that is doing surface subdivision of
> >the object into smooth triangles. Providing me with a povray input script
> >that can reach up to 100.000 lines. So fare so good. I can rotate,
> >translate and render without a problem. Also defining objects consisting
> >out of 8 coils is possible. However, trying to group 10 coils is causing
> >problems. There is no error appearing during rendering but in the final
> >picture some coil parts are not displayed.
> >
> >It would be very helpful if somebody could comment on this problem?
> >Thanks and cheers
> >Hans
>
> My guess is that it's unlikely that it has anything to do with the size
> of the objects. I've used POVRay to render scenes with over 20 billion
> smooth triangles (I actually used mesh2, but that's unlikely to be
> significant) using lots of copies of objects each that have up to 138000
> lines of code.
>
> Do your objects involve transparent bits that might be exceeding the
> max_trace_level?
>
> If you're using manual bounding, or doing anything at all unusual with
> the bounding, try removing it.
>
> --
> Mike Williams
> Gentleman of Leisure

Hi Mike,
thanks for your suggestions. No transparent objects have been used.
Concerning the bounding I am not avair setting something manuelly.
Regards
Hans