POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : A question of physics Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:12:17 EDT (-0400)
  A question of physics (Message 1 to 10 of 36)
From: Andrew Coppin
Subject: A question of physics
Date: 7 May 2003 15:28:18
Message: <3eb95e52@news.povray.org>
Here's a simple enough question...

Is it possible for a transparent substance to be non-reflective? Or are all
transparent substances inherantly reflective to a certain degree?

Just wondering...
Andrew.

Post a reply to this message

From: Andrew
Subject: Re: A question of physics
Date: 7 May 2003 20:21:56
Message: <3eb9a324$1@news.povray.org>
> Is it possible for a transparent substance to be non-reflective? Or
are all
> transparent substances inherantly reflective to a certain degree?

I doubt such a substance exists.  If something was truly non-reflective,
it would be perfectly invisible, unless it was absorbing light against a
background or was emitting light itself.  I can't think of anything that
is perfectly invisible like that, though I should think that some gases
come close, but perhaps only on account of their low density under
Earthly conditions.

And there would also be the problem of total internal reflection.

Post a reply to this message

> Is it possible for a transparent substance to be non-reflective? Or are
> all transparent substances inherantly reflective to a certain degree?
>
> Just wondering...
> Andrew.

Certainly within the realm of the visible. You don't see your reflection in
the air do you?

Post a reply to this message

Hmm... gases don't *appear* reflective... but does a gas have a surface???

Andrew.

Post a reply to this message