POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : A question of physics : Re: A question of physics Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:23:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question of physics
From: Mark Weyer
Date: 8 May 2003 03:41:56
Message: <3EBA0A4E.9040703@informatik.uni-freiburg.de>
> Is it possible for a transparent substance to be non-reflective? Or are all
> transparent substances inherantly reflective to a certain degree?

I always assumed that if light travels into a denser medium (with higher
ior), some of it will be reflected, because "the light does not want to
go through the trouble of traveling through a dense medium". On the other
hand there will be no reflection (except total reflection), when light
travels into a coarser (?English? less dense?) medium.

To make this post on-topic: That's why I always switch reflection off for
the interior_texture of glass and water materials.

Now all of that was assumptions. Can anybody who knows better please
- tell us if that was right?
- give us a formula for the correct reflection value between different
   ior's (assuming it does not depend on anything else)?

--
merge{#local i=-11;#while(i<11)#local
i=i+.1;sphere{<i*(i*i*(.05-i*i*(4e-7*i*i+3e-4))-3)10*sin(i)30>.5}#end