POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : A question of physics : Re: A question of physics Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:33:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question of physics
From: Andrew
Date: 7 May 2003 20:21:56
Message: <3eb9a324$1@news.povray.org>
> Is it possible for a transparent substance to be non-reflective? Or
are all
> transparent substances inherantly reflective to a certain degree?

I doubt such a substance exists.  If something was truly non-reflective,
it would be perfectly invisible, unless it was absorbing light against a
background or was emitting light itself.  I can't think of anything that
is perfectly invisible like that, though I should think that some gases
come close, but perhaps only on account of their low density under
Earthly conditions.

And there would also be the problem of total internal reflection.