POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Photons question Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:26:26 EDT (-0400)
  Photons question (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Orchid XP v2
Subject: Photons question
Date: 22 Sep 2005 15:03:15
Message: <4332fff3$1@news.povray.org>
I'm rendering an animation that involves photons. Unfortunately, even if
I increase the photon count to the point where it takes 5 minutes to
compute the photon maps, the image is still too grainey.

Now, for a final still, I could just crank up the photo count until it
looks good then leave it for a few hours to finish the job. But for
several thousand frames of animation, that's not a real hot idea.
(Besides, you won't have time to look at it *that* hard.)

The trouble is, I can see individual "dots" of light. So I was wondering
- is there a way to make the photons more "blurry"? (To remove the
grainey appearence and make the caustics smoother.)

Post a reply to this message

> I'm rendering an animation that involves photons. Unfortunately, even if
> I increase the photon count to the point where it takes 5 minutes to
> compute the photon maps, the image is still too grainey.
>
> Now, for a final still, I could just crank up the photo count until it
> looks good then leave it for a few hours to finish the job. But for
> several thousand frames of animation, that's not a real hot idea.
> (Besides, you won't have time to look at it *that* hard.)
>
> The trouble is, I can see individual "dots" of light. So I was wondering
> - is there a way to make the photons more "blurry"? (To remove the
> grainey appearence and make the caustics smoother.)

Hi,

I'm far from understanding all the fine tune options you can or may use
with photons. But by looking through the docs there seem to be to
keywords which control the appearance of photons in the final render:
   gather and radius
As far as I understood the first is to do the mandatory photon map
building step. After photons are stored, the render trys to collects for
each point in the scene photons in the near and probably average them
weighted to there distance (I guess) this is the gathering step. The
radius parameter gives you control over how far the gather routine
should look for the photons to take into account.
So consequently by increasing the the gather parameter and radius
parameter the photons should be blurred out. But even so it takes a
minimum number of photons to work.
In case you have regions where caustics look good and other regions
where photons are blotchy you may consider to adjust the corresponding
target parameter in the objects photon block, as it controls the number
of photons shoot in the pretrace step in an object oriented fashion.

correct me if I'm wrong, as it would help me to understand the whole
process of photon enabled renders better.

... dave

Post a reply to this message