POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Photons question : Re: Photons question Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:28:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photons question
From: Lonnie
Date: 4 Oct 2005 02:00:06
Message: <web.434219affb34ea7c6ea646f30@news.povray.org>
> The trouble is, I can see individual "dots" of light. So I was wondering
> - is there a way to make the photons more "blurry"? (To remove the
> grainey appearence and make the caustics smoother.)

I had a lot of the same problems when I started learning photons (see
"Armillary - FINAL" posted in the image binaries by Lonnie on 8 Aug 2005)
The best solution I have found is adjusting the gather parameter.  Also, a
light sprinkling of media will tame down the grains a bit, for that matter
so can radiosity if carefully used.  In any case, if you want real world
photographic effects your render time will suffer, often dramatically.
Much of my armillary sphere rendered at less than 1 PPS and took days for
one frame.  The high number of dispersion samples and outlandish
max_trace_level was behind most of it, but that's what it took
..