POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Help with special density for blob: getting my feet wet Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:28:50 EDT (-0400)
  Help with special density for blob: getting my feet wet (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: wade
Subject: Help with special density for blob: getting my feet wet
Date: 10 Jan 2005 21:30:00
Message: <web.41e339a7fbc78a8ae4b238f30@news.povray.org>
Hello,

I am trying to get my blob to behave like cell walls: where the surface is
parellel to the plane of projection the wall looks pritty much clear and as
the wall bends towards perpendicular to the plane of projection the wall
becomes more opaque. I don't know if I'm being clear. Glass is simmilar.

I tried density maps but I dont know how to use them correctly I think.

Thanks for the help!

Post a reply to this message

>I am trying to get my blob to behave like cell walls: where the surface is
>parellel to the plane of projection the wall looks pritty much clear and as
>the wall bends towards perpendicular to the plane of projection the wall
>becomes more opaque. I don't know if I'm being clear. Glass is simmilar.
>
>I tried density maps but I dont know how to use them correctly I think.

That sounds a bit like the Angle Of Incidence pattern available in
MegaPOV but not in Official POV-Ray. Except it doesn't happen with
glass.

The value returned by this pattern is proportional to the angle between
a certain ray and the (perturbed) normal at the surface of the object.
So you can use a colour_map to vary the transparency.

  pigment {aoi
    colour_map {
      [0.1 rgbt <.3,.5,0,1>]
      [0.5 rgbt <.3,.5,0,0>]