POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Stereoscopic camera theroy Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:14:01 EDT (-0400)
  Stereoscopic camera theroy (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Subject: Stereoscopic camera theroy
Date: 28 Mar 2004 12:06:28
Message: <40670613@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

I want to set up a nice stereoscopic camera for anaglyphs, cross-eyed
view and parallel view images. [Results will be made available publically
when I succeed...]

I know, there is StereoPOV but I need to look more precisely at the issue:
IIRC, StereoPOV uses a non-perpendicular camera which results when
simply doing:

(stereo_win_distance is the distance where the left and right rays
cross each other and hence the plane which seems to be at the depth of
the projection screen plane when viewed stereoscopically.)

I do not understand why it is correct to use such a non-perpendicular
camera.

According to my understanding, the camera actually is generally NOT
perpendicular but the angle between right and direction (=delta) depends
not only on the ratio of eye_distance to stereo_win_distance but also on
the actual eye ray crossing distance when viewing the image.
This means that
(a) cross-eyed view and parallel view require different delta-angles.
(b) the above description (*) is incorrect; e.g. for anaglyphs one would

I hope anyone here has enough clue to point out exactly what is going on.

Regards,
Wolfgang

Post a reply to this message