POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : JPG-output with povray for windows v3.5 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:13:04 EDT (-0400)
  JPG-output with povray for windows v3.5 (Message 41 to 49 of 49)
From: Tom Galvin
Subject: Re: JPG-output with povray for windows v3.5
Date: 21 Feb 2004 02:06:29
Message: <Xns94961539F4D0Ctomatimporg@203.29.75.35>
"Tim Nikias v2.0" <tim.nikias (@) nolights.de> wrote in
news:40367da0@news.povray.org:

>> And as I recall, Windows only accepts BMP files for this, right?
>> Stupid...Mac OS allows anything QuickTime can open: JPEG, PNG, GIF,
>> TIFF, etc.
>
> Yup. I know, it sucks. Linux accepts all kinds of images as well,
> which is kinda fun, especially with neato effects. :-) But most of my
> software requires Windows, and I'm not yet that much into Linux as if
> I could switch.
>
>> But the smaller file size isn't a benefit?
>
> It would be, if it'd be needed. I've got several GBs to spare, so
> rendering at BMP isn't a threat. Additionally, I do almost no
> post-processing on my images, so I can just keep the source-code. Most
> of my images render in under a few hours, so that's sufficient. Those
> that don't... Well, just a little more patience required. That aside,
> I regularly update my hardware, so after a year or so, images render
> even faster than initially. In a sense, I don't have to keep as many
> images as I do, and for lazy reasons I keep them in BMP to use them as
> wallpapers.
>
> There are good arguments to use a different format, I don't deny that.
> It's just much easier this way in my current PC situation. Why go
> through the hassle of converting images everytime I want a new
> wallpaper? It's that simple. :-)
>
> That all aside: is the PNG compression Povray uses the optimum? I've
> found that I could use Paint Shop Pro to convert the images to even
> smaller PNG images and didn't notice any loss. Maybe I should
> experiment again and see why PSP was able to reduce the size, but
> perhaps there's an issue with output from POV-Ray to disk that can't
> be overcome that easily?

IIRC, POV does line by line compression, and PSP compresses all lines at
once.

--
Tom
_________________________________

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 14 Jan 2005 21:27:22
Message: <41e87f8a$1@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2004-02-19 06:43:
> In article <40348604@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:
>

>>  JPEG2000 is the next version of JPEG (and certainly better), even though
>>I don't know if you can call it a "different format from JPEG"...
>

> It is really much different.  the formats only really have the name in
> common.
>

>>  Does anyone have any idea why JPEG2000 has not widespread even though
>>it's so much better than JPEG? I have always wondered this and found it
>>a big pitty.
>

> The compression algorithm is far more complex.  And I am not even sure there
> is a license free way to use it.  Either way, there is no good, portable
> library to read/write it yet.  The IJG JPEG library is kind of a "standard"
> for JPEG on the other hand.
>
>     Thorsten

> Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
> e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

Looking back at old posts.
With the free jpeg2000 you can save only small images (640*480 or less). For anything
larger, you
need to pay a licencing fee.

Alain

Post a reply to this message