POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : JPG-output with povray for windows v3.5 : Re: JPG-output with povray for windows v3.5 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:25:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPG-output with povray for windows v3.5
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 17 Jan 2005 14:10:33
Message: <cjameshuff-08C5F5.14105017012005@news.povray.org>
In article <41ebabb6@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   There's no one single way of making lzw encoding (even though the result
> is decodable with any regular lzw decoder). Some programs do a better job
> than another. You should definitely not trust some random image editor to
> give you the best possible png compression ratio because they usually don't.

PNG is not LZW, it's the older LZ77 compression, which was unencumbered
by patents when it was chosen. I was comparing LZ77 PNGs with LZW TIFFs.
The TIFFs came out consistently smaller...not much, but not by an
insignificant amount either.

>   Run the png through pngcrush and advpng and then compare it to the tiff.

I did use pngcrush, but not advpng. The PNG images were compressed about
as well as is possible, the TIFF images were unoptimized.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/