POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Some math aid required... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:15:10 EDT (-0400)
  Some math aid required... (Message 1 to 10 of 24)
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Subject: Some math aid required...
Date: 10 Feb 2004 06:22:02
Message: <4028beda$1@news.povray.org>
so, I've got the following formula to calculate Bezier-Splines:

Point_1*pow(1-Mover,3)+
Point_2*3*pow(1-Mover,2)*Mover-
Point_3*3*pow(Mover,2)*(1-Mover)+
Point_4*pow(Mover,3)

(I guess that formula should be known around pro's, but I've posted it here
to make descriptions easier. Mover is the value that runs from 0 to 1 from
beginning to end of the spline-segment, where one segment is made of four
points: starting- and end-point, and two control-points).

Anyways, I need to calculate the direction/tangent of the spline at any
given position. I'm somehow stuck, probably because my head is still filled
with the last exam I just wrote. Any help, or links?

Thanks in advance,
Tim

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>

Post a reply to this message

> so, I've got the following formula to calculate Bezier-Splines:
>
> Point_1*pow(1-Mover,3)+
> Point_2*3*pow(1-Mover,2)*Mover-
> Point_3*3*pow(Mover,2)*(1-Mover)+
> Point_4*pow(Mover,3)

> Anyways, I need to calculate the direction/tangent of the spline at any
> given position. I'm somehow stuck, probably because my head is still filled
> with the last exam I just wrote. Any help, or links?

Okay...your function is this, P1..P4 being the spline values, t being
the spline time parameter:

P1*(1 - t)^3 +
P2*3*(1 - t)^2*t -
P3*3*t^2*(1 - t) +
P4*t^3

The slope of the tangent is simply the derivative, the rate of change at
the given point. Unless I've screwed up the math somewhere, that would
be:

P1*3*(1 - t)^2*(-1) +
P2*3*(2*(1 - t)*(-1)*t + (1 - t)^2) -
P3*3*(2*t*(1 - t) - t^2) +
P4*3*t^2

simplified:

3*(P2 - P1 + (P1 - 2*P2 - P3)*2*t + (P2*3 + P3*3 + P4 - P1)*t^2)

(somebody want to check that?)

The tangent line at point p would be:
x*f'(p) - p*f'(p) + f(p)
where f() is the spline function, and f'() is its derivative.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message