POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Some math aid required... : Re: Some math aid required... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:20:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some math aid required...
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 10 Feb 2004 12:08:53
Message: <40291025$1@news.povray.org>
> simplified:
>
> 3*(P2 - P1 + (P1 - 2*P2 - P3)*2*t + (P2*3 + P3*3 + P4 - P1)*t^2)

Simplified? ;-)

Uhm... Well, Sascha's approach worked quite well (now I just have to get it
work with more than one segment, but that's not the difficult part). To be
honest, I didn't really understand where you went with the derivative. Was a
long time ago that I had algebra in school, so I can't check if it's correct
or not, and since it looked so complicated, I took a first go with Sascha's
formula.

Still, enlighten me about this part:

> The tangent line at point p would be:
> x*f'(p) - p*f'(p) + f(p)
> where f() is the spline function, and f'() is its derivative.

So, instead of using t, you want me to put a point into a function? What's
x? I got a little confused here and am not really sure what you were trying
to tell me. Thanks for the effort though!

Regards,
Tim

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"