POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Radiosity and brightness Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:28:18 EDT (-0400)
  Radiosity and brightness (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Hugo Asm
Subject: Radiosity and brightness
Date: 6 Aug 2003 17:53:02
Message: <3f3178be@news.povray.org>
Hi folks,

I keep running into a problem with radiosity and I'd like to ask, why it
behaves that way. Lets say I have a sky_sphere to illuminate a scene like
this:

sky_sphere { pigment { rgb 1 } } // Light
sphere { 0,1 pigment { rgb 1 } }
plane { y,-1 pigment { rgb .6 } }

Now, lets say I want to increase the light, so I set a higher pigment in
sky_sphere. But no matter how high I go, the scene doesn't turn white....
Why?

If I increase the pigment in the light-absorbing objects (plane and sphere)
it works, and the scene is able to turn white! Also, by setting a higher
brightness in the radiosity block, I can get more light in the scene.. BUT..
After much experimentation it seems, I am limited when objects can't really
emit light with strength above 1.. Somewhere the value is clipped and I
don't understand why.

It's not due to "max_sample" in the radiosity block that is turned off by
default.

Best regards,
Hugo

Post a reply to this message

You might want to look at the radiosity tutorial.  Your objects need a full
texture, including a finish:

sky_sphere { pigment { rgb 1 } } // Light
sphere { 0,1 texture { pigment { rgb 1 } finish { ambient 0.5 diffuse 1
brilliance 3 } } }
plane { y,-1 texture { pigment { rgb .6 } finish { ambient 0.2 diffuse 1
brilliance 2 } } }

"Hugo Asm" <hua### [at] post3teledk> wrote in message
> Hi folks,
>
> I keep running into a problem with radiosity and I'd like to ask, why it
> behaves that way. Lets say I have a sky_sphere to illuminate a scene like
> this:
>
> sky_sphere { pigment { rgb 1 } } // Light
> sphere { 0,1 pigment { rgb 1 } }
> plane { y,-1 pigment { rgb .6 } }
>
> Now, lets say I want to increase the light, so I set a higher pigment in
> sky_sphere. But no matter how high I go, the scene doesn't turn white....
> Why?
>
> If I increase the pigment in the light-absorbing objects (plane and
sphere)
> it works, and the scene is able to turn white! Also, by setting a higher
> brightness in the radiosity block, I can get more light in the scene..
BUT..
> After much experimentation it seems, I am limited when objects can't
really
> emit light with strength above 1.. Somewhere the value is clipped and I
> don't understand why.
>
> It's not due to "max_sample" in the radiosity block that is turned off by
> default.
>
> Best regards,
> Hugo

Post a reply to this message