POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Exporting POV objects to other 3D packages Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:32:32 EDT (-0400)
  Exporting POV objects to other 3D packages (Message 11 to 15 of 15)
From: Ken
Subject: Re: Exporting POV objects to other 3D packages
Date: 24 Apr 2003 10:35:31
Message: <3EA7F5E8.F19AE793@pacbell.net>
CB wrote:

> I have a model built from various POV primitives and I would like to export
> it to another 3D package - possible the free version of Truespace.
>
> Can POV objects be "converted" to, say, DXF meshes together with the
> textures?

TriScan Macro, maybe.

http://www.silvertome.com/packages.html

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Date: 30 Apr 2003 05:42:39
Message: <3EAF9B5E.6010105@free.fr>
CB wrote:

> "Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in message
>
>>CB <col### [at] nospamcouk> wrote:
>>
>>>Can POV objects be "converted" to, say, DXF meshes together with the
>>>textures?
>>>

> http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/povQandT/filesQandT.html#povtootherformatsd
> ifficulty
>

> Thanks for that link. Yes, the POVray scripting language has grown over the
> years and I can see the problems here.
>
> My model is simply constructed from a list of explicitly defined primitives,
> so there is no looping or anything like that. In this case the problem would
> be converting the POV primitives to triangle meshes. I had wondered if a
> utility existed to do this, but I do agree that for the more general case it
> would be even more difficult.

Using a patched povray, you could tesselate and save your objet in gts
format.
See http://jgrimbert.free.fr/pov/patch/tessel/index.html
in particular gts_save

Post a reply to this message

From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 30 Apr 2003 07:22:18
Message: <3EAFB1EA.9CE3A042@gmx.de>
Le Forgeron wrote:

> [...]
>
> Using a patched povray, you could tesselate and save your objet in gts
> format.
> See http://jgrimbert.free.fr/pov/patch/tessel/index.html
> in particular gts_save

BTW, have you done (or planning to do) adapting that patch to POV-Ray 3.5
?

Christoph

From: Le Forgeron
Date: 30 Apr 2003 08:37:25
Message: <3EAFC452.80604@free.fr>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> Le Forgeron wrote:
>
>>[...]
>>
>>Using a patched povray, you could tesselate and save your objet in gts
>>format.
>>See http://jgrimbert.free.fr/pov/patch/tessel/index.html
>>in particular gts_save
>>

> BTW, have you done (or planning to do) adapting that patch to POV-Ray 3.5
> ?

No planning for 3.5 so far for me, but you're free to move it to 3.5 and
even to enhance it (using the functions of 3.5 is propably the most
interesting enhancement). Just beware of the marching-cube patent, if it
apply to you...

Post a reply to this message