POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Frosted light globes Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:25:43 EDT (-0400)
  Frosted light globes (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Rohan Bernett
Subject: Frosted light globes
Date: 25 Nov 2002 20:30:04
Message: <web.3de2cd784d4a46d15f3c4db30@news.povray.org>
One thing I would like to know how to do is simulate the light emitted from
a frosted light globe. Most light bulbs used around the house are frosted
to reduce sharp shadows. Now, the light sources in pov-ray act like clear
globes, which produce sharp shadows. I would like to simulate frosted light
globes to mach the real ones in the locations in the scene of my living
room. I tried using circular area lights with the orient keyword, but it
didn't help much and slowed the scene down way too much. I made the area
lights cover the same volume as the lightbulb does and used 3*3 lights.

Anyone have any ideas what to do?

Rohan _e_ii

Post a reply to this message

"Rohan Bernett" <rox### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> One thing I would like to know how to do is simulate the light emitted
from
> a frosted light globe. Most light bulbs used around the house are frosted
> to reduce sharp shadows. Now, the light sources in pov-ray act like clear
> globes, which produce sharp shadows. I would like to simulate frosted
light
> globes to mach the real ones in the locations in the scene of my living
> room. I tried using circular area lights with the orient keyword, but it
> didn't help much and slowed the scene down way too much. I made the area
> lights cover the same volume as the lightbulb does and used 3*3 lights.

You are on the right track with area lights, just fiddle with the parameters
more.  Increase the number of lights in the grid and increase adaptive,
render time will go down though.  Also, for globe lights use 'circular' and
'orient'.  Jitter may help smooth results at lower grid and adaptive values.

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

> I tried using circular area lights with the orient keyword, but it
> didn't help much and slowed the scene down way too much. I made the area
> lights cover the same volume as the lightbulb does and used 3*3 lights.

Did you use adaptive?

I'd try something like

area_light
x*size, y*size, 9, 9
// large number of samples only makes a difference
// in soft shadowed areas because of adaptive

circular orient
adaptive 1
// try 0 if it doesn't create shadow artifacts, 'cause that'll be faster.
// 1 is usually pretty safe.

 - Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]