POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Radiosity Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:22:02 EDT (-0400)
  Radiosity (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Andrew Coppin
Subject: Re: Radiosity
Date: 16 Nov 2002 09:49:21
Message: <3dd65af1@news.povray.org>
> I don't understand.  Why do you think radiosity makes no difference in a
> scene with light sources?

I just wanted to get an image with nice smooth edges; I tried using a normal
light source, but the sharp shaddow edges didn't fit very well with the
smoothness of the radiosity (patchy as it was). As I say, I think I'll have
to just use normal area lights without radiosity instead.

> The scene without light sources and only radiosity lighting is quite a
> speciality.  It works very well with hemispherical illumination or similar
> situations (as you can find in the sample scenes and documentation) but
> like i already explained small objects with high emission of light are
> difficult.  I have never seen a scene with this working well, neither with
> POV-Ray nor with any other rendering package.

I'm no expert, but the more I think about the radiosity algorithm, the more
impossible it seems to implement at all! ;-)

Andrew.

Post a reply to this message