POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Manual Bounding Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:13:36 EDT (-0400)
  Manual Bounding (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Andrew Coppin
Subject: Manual Bounding
Date: 22 Oct 2002 10:29:41
Message: <3db560d5@news.povray.org>
OK, so maybe I'm dumb, but I think the docs for POV-Ray's bounding are a
little vague. (Actually I think the same thing about media, photons,
radiosity, etc - but let's not get ahead of ourselves here ;-)

Let me put a specific question. If I create a shape that is the CSG
intersection of several planes, do I need to bound it automatically, or can
POV-Ray figure out its extent? (Assuming it's finite.) In other words, if I
do something like

intersection
{
  plane {...}
  plane {...}
  plane {...}
}

will POV-Ray make an automatic bounding box? Or should I add one manually to
speed things up? Also, if I do add one, do I need to turn off manual bounds
removal (-UR)?

Thanks!
Andrew.

PS. Is prism {linear_spline linear_sweep ...} faster than the above?
(Assuming the shape you want can be made that way...)

Post a reply to this message