POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Manual Bounding : Re: Manual Bounding Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:22:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Manual Bounding
From: Andrew Coppin
Date: 23 Oct 2002 03:52:33
Message: <3db65541@news.povray.org>
...so basically it's as I expected; POV-Ray can't automatically bound
infinite objects. (And to be fair, there is no particular reason why the
intersection of some infinite objects *should* necessarily produce a shape
of finite volume. I suspect that in the general case POV-Ray could get a
*big* headache trying...)

I'm interested by what Warp said about POV-Ray only ignoring manual bounds
if they're larger than the calculated bounds. Where does is say this in the
manual? It mentions something about POV-Ray's own automatic system usually
being faster, and that by default manual bounds are removed; it doesn't say
anything about them still being used if they are smaller... (I'm not saying
Warp is wrong - I'm saying the docs are wrong ;-)

Andrew.