POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Generating 2D graphics with PovRay? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:24:06 EDT (-0400)
  Generating 2D graphics with PovRay? (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Frantisek Fuka
Subject: Generating 2D graphics with PovRay?
Date: 1 May 2003 19:00:20
Message: <3eb1a704$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I am recently faced with interesting problem. I need to generate lots of
2D graphics that consists of many different objects that have slight
variations between them. As an example, let's say that I want to draw a
full set of playing cards, like this:

http://www.fuxoft.cz/tmp/karty0.png

Now, I could paint this in Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop but it was
much faster to write this 2kb Povray script:

http://www.fuxoft.cz/tmp/karty0.pov

Which generated the above image.

What's also important is the fact that if I now want to change all the
cards so that they have square format or they have more rounded corners,
or whatever, it's very simple matter of changing few number in the POV
script - in standard graphic program this would be a lot of tedious work.

Of course, it's not very elegant to use POVRAY for this lowly task. What
is more important, POVRAY has to do 3D and lighting calculations which
unnecessarily slow down the whole process (I need to generate LOTS of
graphics like this).

In fact, POVRAY is almost perfect, except that it's too slow and exact
vertical/horizontal lines have graphic artefacts on them even with high
antialiasing (just magnify the the borders of the cards).

So my question is: Is there any application that would allow me to
generate 2D sceneries using some sort of script language? It may seem to
you that I could use any programming language with graphic capabilities
for this, but note that it's ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY for the result to be
anti-aliased and to contain things like "glowing lines" and
semi-transparent objects. In fact, Somehing like the graphic capabilites
of Macromedia Flash. Except that Flash scenes cannot be generated using
scripts and cannot be easily exported to bitmaps (e.g. to create 1000
bitmaps using one small script in one go)...

Thanks for any suggestions

Post a reply to this message