POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Generating 2D graphics with PovRay? : Re: Generating 2D graphics with PovRay? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:23:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Generating 2D graphics with PovRay?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 2 May 2003 07:43:16
Message: <3EB259D4.E718DB47@gmx.de>
Frantisek Fuka wrote:

> [...]
>
> Of course, it's not very elegant to use POVRAY for this lowly task. What
> is more important, POVRAY has to do 3D and lighting calculations which
> unnecessarily slow down the whole process (I need to generate LOTS of
> graphics like this).

It's not POV-Ray that's slow, it's your coding that's extremely
inefficient:

- no need for a light source, just use ambient finishes.
- using csg for 'painting' the cards is very slow.  The object pattern
will be much faster.

> In fact, POVRAY is almost perfect, except that it's too slow and exact
> vertical/horizontal lines have graphic artefacts on them even with high
> antialiasing (just magnify the the borders of the cards).

Try '-j'/Jitter=off

> So my question is: Is there any application that would allow me to
> generate 2D sceneries using some sort of script language?
> [...]

What's wrong with POV-SDL as a script language?

Christoph