POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Diamond material Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:17:50 EDT (-0400)
  Diamond material (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Rebel^v^
Subject: Diamond material
Date: 1 Apr 2003 06:51:52
Message: <3e897d58$1@news.povray.org>
I need to help with my diamond material, I still
can not find the real looking values. (Those does not look well)

#declare M_Dia=    material {
  texture {
    pigment {rgbt 1}
    finish {
      ambient 0
      diffuse 0.05
      specular 0.5
      roughness 0.005
      reflection {
        0.03, 1.0
        fresnel on
      }
      conserve_energy
    }
  }
  interior {
    ior 2.17
    fade_power 1001
    fade_distance 0
   fade_color <10.,0.1,10>
  }
}

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Subject: Re: Diamond material
Date: 1 Apr 2003 07:35:00
Message: <3e898774$1@news.povray.org>
"Rebel^v^" <sku### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> I need to help with my diamond material, I still
> can not find the real looking values.

Firstly, the correct ior of diamond is 2.47
Secondly, try increasing specular to about 0.75 and decrease roughness to
around 0.001.

I haven't tried these settings myself but I'd guess that they should give
you a better starting point for experimentation.

John
--
Run Fast
Run Free

Post a reply to this message

>I need to help with my diamond material, I still
>can not find the real looking values. (Those does not look well)

Here is my diamond. I tried to make it physically accurate.

#declare M_Diamond = material {
  texture {
    pigment {
      rgbf <0.95294, 0.95294, 0.90588, 1>
      quick_color rgb <0.95294, 0.95294, 0.90588>
    }
    finish {
      ambient 0
      diffuse 1
      //reflection 0.4011
      reflection { 1.0 fresnel }
    }
  }
  interior {
    ior 2.418
    //caustics 1
    dispersion 1.044
    dispersion_samples 7
  }
}

I didn't write any highlight because highlights are dependent from
lightning.

Reflection 0.4011 is approximate reflection calculated from fresnel
reflection. You can use it instead of fresnel to get more speed.
Approximate reflection value is also useful when calculating highlight
specular values when using low intensities in lightsources.

Uncomment caustics 1 if you don't use photons. Default dispersion_samples is
7. You can multiply it to get better detail. For perfect dispersion
multiply it with contrast levels of the output image. Example 255 for 24bit
image.

I recommend you to use photons and set max_trace_level high. Please render
your diamond scene to us :)

Matti

Post a reply to this message