POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Diamond material : Re: Diamond material Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:34:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Diamond material
From: Retsam
Date: 21 Apr 2003 17:20:14
Message: <web.3ea45f5987eb1c7534dff4bb0@news.povray.org>
>And this is not. You forgot the light wavelenghts. Pov-Ray dispersion
>calculation make simple rainbow for light which ior will range from
>ior/sqrt(disp) to ior*sqrt(disp). To calculate correct dispersion value we
>need several ior values and the light wavelenghts used to measure ior
>values to approximate dispersion value.
>
>Matti

One problem.  POV-Ray 3.5 doesn't support that.  You simply specify an IOR
and a dispersion.  And as I said, and as you conceded, ior will range from
ior/sqrt(disp) to ior*sqrt(disp), which means disp = max_ior/min_ior.

If you want something more accurate, you have to either do multiple renders
with hand-tweaked iors/palettes, or you have to use something like MegaPOV.
 The last time I used MegaPOV was version 0.4, and it supported a
hand-configured palette for dispersion.