POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Saving an object? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:31:32 EDT (-0400)
  Saving an object? (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: Tyler Eaves
Subject: Saving an object?
Date: 7 Apr 2003 10:34:28
Message: <3e918c74@news.povray.org>
Is there any way to save an object (IE, a union of lots of other objects) to
disk and then read it back in?

THis could potentially save me tons of parsing time if there's a way to do
it.

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 11:33:31 -0400, Tyler Eaves <tyl### [at] hotpopcom> wrote:
> Is there any way to save an object (IE, a union of lots of other objects) to
> disk and then read it back in?
>
> THis could potentially save me tons of parsing time if there's a way to do
> it.

During first parsing you can parallel create file on drive with equivalent of
content you creating for parsing. This is common habit in case of creation of
meshes. For example look for HF_* macros in standard distribution. There is a
parameter for choosing output to file.

ABX

Post a reply to this message

> On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 11:33:31 -0400, Tyler Eaves <tyl### [at] hotpopcom> wrote:
>> Is there any way to save an object (IE, a union of lots of other objects)
>> to disk and then read it back in?
>>
>> THis could potentially save me tons of parsing time if there's a way to
>> do it.
>
> During first parsing you can parallel create file on drive with equivalent
> of content you creating for parsing. This is common habit in case of
> creation of meshes. For example look for HF_* macros in standard
> distribution. There is a parameter for choosing output to file.
>
> ABX
That makes sense.

Post a reply to this message

> On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 11:33:31 -0400, Tyler Eaves <tyl### [at] hotpopcom> wrote:
>> Is there any way to save an object (IE, a union of lots of other objects)
>> to disk and then read it back in?
>>
>> THis could potentially save me tons of parsing time if there's a way to
>> do it.
>
> During first parsing you can parallel create file on drive with equivalent
> of content you creating for parsing. This is common habit in case of
> creation of meshes. For example look for HF_* macros in standard
> distribution. There is a parameter for choosing output to file.
>
> ABX

Ack, hit send too soon.

What I was really hoping for was some sort of binary save,
ala photons. But that'll help, since my code is VERY loop intensive.
Speaking of that, is there any real speed hit for unioning a number of
objcets together, as opposed to not unioning?

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 11:43:31 -0400, Tyler Eaves <tyl### [at] hotpopcom> wrote:
> What I was really hoping for was some sort of binary save,
> ala photons.

AFAIK photons related files are not binary. They are probably fully portable
ascii files. Supported portable format for exchenging objects are ascii files
with scripts written in SDL.

> But that'll help, since my code is VERY loop intensive.
> Speaking of that, is there any real speed hit for unioning a number of
> objcets together, as opposed to not unioning?

As usually depends it depends on situation. Hard to say without knowing objects,
environment, complexity of scene.

ABX

Post a reply to this message