POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : POV-Tree Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:11:31 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Tree (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Ken
Subject: Re: POV-Tree
Date: 22 Feb 2003 16:38:15
Message: <3E57EE35.84E5DBDE@pacbell.net>
Mike Williams wrote:

> Wasn't it Karl Pelzer who wrote:
> >Gena Obukhov schrieb:
> >
> >> Why do you need it in POV-Tree?
> >>
> >> Gena.
> >>
> >...just to import these brilliant trees into Moray. Or did I miss
> >something...??
>
> I'm not familiar with UDO or Moray, but I have written a little Perl
> script that can convert the mesh files created by POV-Tree into OBJ
> format, which can be used in a large number of modelling and rendering
> systems. Does Moray read OBJ?

Moray does not read OBJ but 3DWin does and can export to UDO.

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

From: Vadim Sytnikov
Date: 23 Feb 2003 19:31:47
Message: <3e5967f3$1@news.povray.org>
"Gena Obukhov" <obu### [at] mailcom> wrote:

> Very detailed tree can take a lot of memory after loading it to
> Moray. I think you won't be able effectively manipulate by
> such tree in Moray. I don't know details of Moray (never used it)
> but if it doesn't  use OpenGL any transformation will need a lot
> of time.

In fact, UDO files need not to represent your trees accurately. If fact,
good UDO file should provide just a very basic information about how your
model looks (or, if more exactly, what is its geometry, so that you would be
able to scale/rotate/locate it in the Moray properly). It is accompanying
INC files (containing actual SDL code) that contain the full model; UDO
files [often] contain just a rough approximation.

Post a reply to this message

> In fact, UDO files need not to represent your trees accurately. If fact,
> good UDO file should provide just a very basic information about how your
> model looks (or, if more exactly, what is its geometry, so that you would be
> able to scale/rotate/locate it in the Moray properly). It is accompanying
> INC files (containing actual SDL code) that contain the full model; UDO
> files [often] contain just a rough approximation.

Yup! That's the way it could work. I remember Johannes Hubert's "Tree
Designer" which supported UDO output.

@ Gena

How about a poll in the Moray groups?
http://news.povray.org/moray.win/
Maybe more Moray Users would be intereseted in UDO output.

Karl