POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : how to reduce the size of an animation Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:22:29 EDT (-0400)
  how to reduce the size of an animation (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Herman Serras
Subject: how to reduce the size of an animation
Date: 6 Aug 2002 05:49:17
Message: <3D4F9BD8.294EA3F5@pandora.be>
Yesterday I sent an animation to p.b.a. I agree that the size of the
file was very large for what the animation represents. I think this has
to do with the method I use for preparing the animated giffile. The few
animations I sent earlier fortunately where much smaller.
Using the animation possibilities of Povray I obtain a number of png
files. Those png files are converted to giffiles using Irfanview. Using
Movgear an animated giffile is constructed. Such an animated giffile can
be optimized and in most cases the gain is very extensive.
But yesterday this wasn't the case. I pointed out that this has to do
with the use of AA 0.3. and the conversion from png to giffiles. Parts
of two successive images that have a large part in common aren't
transformed in the same way. This results in a flickering in the
animated giffile and of course the gain obtained by optimizing is very
small, because there are to many differences between two following
images.
Is there a possibility to avoid these kinds of problems? I'm using
Windows 98.
Thanks.
--
Herman Serras
Gent (Belgium)

Post a reply to this message

> Is there a possibility to avoid these kinds of problems?

Yes, use another codec.

Simon

Post a reply to this message

>>Is there a possibility to avoid these kinds of problems?
>>

> Yes, use another codec.

Better, use mpeg-1 encoders (and no fancy codec).

Post a reply to this message

> Better, use mpeg-1 encoders (and no fancy codec).
At which point is a codec fancy?

Post a reply to this message