POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : how to reduce the size of an animation : Re: how to reduce the size of an animation Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:23:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: how to reduce the size of an animation
From: Herman Serras
Date: 7 Aug 2002 06:32:31
Message: <3D50F77D.8DDD3E83@pandora.be>
Hugo wrote:

> The codec has importance for sure. But your images suffer from bad anti
> aliasing. This is not a matter of AA 0.3 (the threshold) but a matter of
> jittering. Jittering is noise and that's bad in animations. A good
> anti-alias gives a fully similar result for every frame, thus allowing the
> video compressor to forget the parts of the image that doesn't change.
>
> I understand that you tried this, but couldn't turn off jittering.. I've
> been thinking about why.. Maybe it's because I forgot that you're probably
> using an ".ini" file to setup the animation.. In that case, you can change
> the anti-alias settings in the ".ini" file. You could try this:
>
> Jitter_Amount=0
>
> It won't change the quality of anti-aliasing, but should remove the noise in
> your sequence, and this would give a huge improvement in file size.
>
> I also mentioned using grey-scales instead of strong contrasts in color..
> Well, these are two 'extreme' choices.. I know greyscales would be kind of
> boring, but from a technical point of view, they compress better (with jpeg
> / mpeg).. So, a good choice is usually something 'in between'.. That means
> not greyscale, and not strong color contrasts.. Of course you could force
> the filesize to be similar for both types of image, but the picture quality
> will differ.
>
> Good luck, and let me know if I'm not clear.  ;o)
>
> Regards,
> Hugo

Putting Jitter_Amount=0 in the ini file already helped a lot in reducing
the size of the animated gif file and the flickering in the animation
disappeared, but playing around with different values for
Antialias_Treshold and Antialias_Depth I noticed that still more
benefits were got from putting the antialias_depth to 1.
In the orininal posting I explained how I get the animated giffile. I
wonder if there's another way to obtain small animation files starting
with a number of png files obtained using the animation possibilities of
Povray. I'm working with Windows 98.

Friendly greetings and thanks for the help!

--
Herman Serras
Gent (Belgium)