POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : how to reduce the size of an animation : Re: how to reduce the size of an animation Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:31:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: how to reduce the size of an animation
From: Hugo
Date: 7 Aug 2002 04:06:45
Message: <3d50d515$1@news.povray.org>
The codec has importance for sure. But your images suffer from bad anti
aliasing. This is not a matter of AA 0.3 (the threshold) but a matter of
jittering. Jittering is noise and that's bad in animations. A good
anti-alias gives a fully similar result for every frame, thus allowing the
video compressor to forget the parts of the image that doesn't change.

I understand that you tried this, but couldn't turn off jittering.. I've
been thinking about why.. Maybe it's because I forgot that you're probably
using an ".ini" file to setup the animation.. In that case, you can change
the anti-alias settings in the ".ini" file. You could try this:

Jitter_Amount=0

It won't change the quality of anti-aliasing, but should remove the noise in
your sequence, and this would give a huge improvement in file size.

I also mentioned using grey-scales instead of strong contrasts in color..
Well, these are two 'extreme' choices.. I know greyscales would be kind of
boring, but from a technical point of view, they compress better (with jpeg
/ mpeg).. So, a good choice is usually something 'in between'.. That means
not greyscale, and not strong color contrasts.. Of course you could force
the filesize to be similar for both types of image, but the picture quality
will differ.

Good luck, and let me know if I'm not clear.  ;o)

Regards,
Hugo