POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : IsoCSG rounded shape macros Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:26:33 EDT (-0400)
  IsoCSG rounded shape macros (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Reuben Pearse
Subject: IsoCSG rounded shape macros
Date: 19 Apr 2002 05:55:11
Message: <3cbfe97f@news.povray.org>
Hi all

I am tying to create some shapes in POVRay 3.5 (beta.RC1) using Christoph
Hormann's IsoCSG Library (version 0.4) and
I have a couple of questions:

1. I want to create a rounded cylinder using the IC_Cylinder shape macro in
the iso_rcsg.inc (Rounded Shapes).
However the cylinder I get just looks like a normal cylinder created using
POV primitive. Below is the code I am using:

//=======================================================
#version 3.5;

global_settings {
  assumed_gamma 1.0
}

background { color <0.750,0.500,0.300> }

camera {
  location    <-10, 25, 10>*1.5
  direction   y
  sky         z
  up          z
  right       1.33333*x
  look_at     <0, 0, 1.7>
  angle       15
}

light_source {
  <-1000, 2500, 5000>
  color rgb 1.2
}

#include "iso_rcsg.inc"
#declare fn_1 = IC_Cylinder (-x, x, 0.8)
#declare fn_XX= function { fn_1(x, y, z) }

isosurface {
  function { fn_XX(x, y, z) }
  max_gradient 1.6
  contained_by { box { -8+z*5, 8+2*z } }
  pigment { rgb <0, 0.2, 1.1> }
  finish { specular 0.3 }
  scale 1.2
}

//===================================================

How do I create a smooth rounded cone using this macro?
What are general principles I need to use to get round edges on a object
created with IsoCSG?

2. How do you use the macros in the IsoCSG to do the equivalent of the blob
threshold as detailed in the POV help section 3.6.3.5

Thanks in advance

Reuben
doo### [at] breathemailnet

Post a reply to this message

> I am tying to create some shapes in POVRay 3.5 (beta.RC1) using Christoph
> Hormann's IsoCSG Library (version 0.4) and
> I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1. I want to create a rounded cylinder using the IC_Cylinder shape macro in
> the iso_rcsg.inc (Rounded Shapes).
> However the cylinder I get just looks like a normal cylinder created using
> POV primitive. Below is the code I am using:
>
> [...]

Calling the functions 'rounded' is a bit misleading, i will add a better
explanation in the next version.  The shape itself is not different from
normal iso_csg functions.

But you can use the rounding properties of the functions by changing the
threshold value, for example:

#declare fn_1 = IC_Threshold( IC_Cylinder (-x, x, 0.8), 0.2)

Note that the resulting shape no more has the measures given to the
cylinder macro.

> How do I create a smooth rounded cone using this macro?
> What are general principles I need to use to get round edges on a object
> created with IsoCSG?

You can use the methods mentioned above or implement the CSG constructions
from the Round_Cone() macro in 'shapes.inc'.

The same applies for all other shapes of course.  For a rounded box you
can also use the f_rounded_box() function from functions.inc.

> 2. How do you use the macros in the IsoCSG to do the equivalent of the blob
> threshold as detailed in the POV help section 3.6.3.5

You can use the iso_csg functions like any other functions so you can also
use them in blob constructions (instead of fn_A()/fn_B() in the cited
example)

Future versions of iso_csg will probably also implement blob functions.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 16 Apr. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Date: 19 Apr 2002 06:46:40
Message: <ftsvbu0n40gismmvt6u7ifuqpk9kkmemet@4ax.com>
On Fri, 19 Apr 2002 10:59:05 +0100, "Reuben Pearse"
<reu### [at] presence-systemscom> wrote:
> 1. I want to create a rounded cylinder using the IC_Cylinder shape macro in
> the iso_rcsg.inc (Rounded Shapes).
> However the cylinder I get just looks like a normal cylinder created using
> POV primitive.

Becouse it is rounded when you move surface outside. If you use only cylinder
in your isosurface then just use threshold keyword of isosurface to make
surface. If you want cylinder as part of bigger iso_csg then use IC_Threshold
macro as described in documentation.

> How do I create a smooth rounded cone using this macro?

The same way. Use threshold.

> 2. How do you use the macros in the IsoCSG to do the equivalent of the blob
> threshold as detailed in the POV help section 3.6.3.5

The same way. Just use result of macros in IsoCSG as blob component.

Sorry, have no time to make examples at this moment. Tell me if it is
necessary.

ABX

Post a reply to this message