POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : UV Coordinates? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:28:55 EDT (-0400)
  UV Coordinates? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: John Raptis
Subject: UV Coordinates?
Date: 2 Sep 2000 09:54:35
Message: <39b1069b$1@news.povray.org>
Hi everyone,
I'm fairly new at povray, but they tell me this is an advanced question:

Can I specify UV texture coordinates on a triangle?

I come from an OpenGL background, where a triangle's corners are specified
x,y,z, u,v... where u and v are the coordinates inside the texture to map to
each corner.

Is there an equivalent way to do this in povray?  Speed is not an issue... I
just need the functionality.

So again: When I put a triangle down, is there any way to say what texture
coordinate goes at each corner? I'd even be content to make a 'mesh' of one
triangle, if it would work.

Thanks!

Post a reply to this message

> Can I specify UV texture coordinates on a triangle?
>
> I come from an OpenGL background, where a triangle's corners are
> specified x,y,z, u,v... where u and v are the coordinates inside the
> texture to map to each corner.
>
> Is there an equivalent way to do this in povray?  Speed is not an
> issue... I just need the functionality.
>
> So again: When I put a triangle down, is there any way to say what
> texture coordinate goes at each corner? I'd even be content to make a
> 'mesh' of one triangle, if it would work.

Standard POV-Ray does not have UV-mapping. However, there is a patch for
UV mapping triangles, patches, meshes, and some other objects, and it is
included in MegaPOV:
http://nathan.kopp.com/patched.htm

I think there is also a macro somewhere for "UV-mapping" individual
triangles in official POV-Ray, but I don't know any more about it except
that it was more memory consuming than the patch. POV-Ray 3.5, which
should be released sometime this year, will probably have UV-mapping.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><

Post a reply to this message

> Standard POV-Ray does not have UV-mapping. However, there is a patch for
> UV mapping triangles, patches, meshes, and some other objects, and it is
> included in MegaPOV:
> http://nathan.kopp.com/patched.htm
>
> I think there is also a macro somewhere for "UV-mapping" individual
> triangles in official POV-Ray, but I don't know any more about it except
> that it was more memory consuming than the patch. POV-Ray 3.5, which
> should be released sometime this year, will probably have UV-mapping.

It wasn't until I read your reply, Chris, that I remembered I'd actually
created a macro for this!  Of course, it does use more memory than the
"built-in" UV-mapping of MegaPOV, but it will allow you to render UV mapped
triangles in official POV-Ray 3.1.  You can download the macro from the
Other Include Files page at http://www.geocities.com/ccolefax.