POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : re HF heights Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:29:34 EDT (-0400)
  re HF heights (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: Mick Hazelgrove
Subject: re HF heights
Date: 1 Jul 2000 07:07:18
Message: <395dd0e6$1@news.povray.org>
Is there a way of finding the highest parts of a hf.  I don't just want
everything above a certain height but the top of every bump. Hope this is
clear.

Hope someone can help.

Mick

Post a reply to this message

From: Margus Ramst
Subject: Re: re HF heights
Date: 1 Jul 2000 08:14:38
Message: <395DD2C3.D88FF82B@peak.edu.ee>
Mick Hazelgrove wrote:

> Is there a way of finding the highest parts of a hf.  I don't just want
> everything above a certain height but the top of every bump.

A basic method in MegaPOV would be to get a grid of height values (using trace)
and start comparing: if a point is higher than all 8 points around it (or 5
points at the edges, or 3 points in the corner) it is the top of a bump.
Of course it's a bit more complicated if you want more control, e.g. only
consider convexities above a certain scale as "bumps".

--
Margus Ramst

Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee

> A basic method in MegaPOV would be to get a grid of height values (using trace)
> and start comparing: if a point is higher than all 8 points around it (or 5
> points at the edges, or 3 points in the corner) it is the top of a bump.
> Of course it's a bit more complicated if you want more control, e.g. only
> consider convexities above a certain scale as "bumps".

That would produce quite a lot of points, because usual heightfields contain
quite a lot of local maxima.

HF-Lab contains a function for something quite similar, namely filling up local
minima, source code (in C) can be found at:

http://www.best.com/~beale/

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>