POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Convert matrix to rotate ? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:18:36 EDT (-0400)
  Convert matrix to rotate ? (Message 11 to 16 of 16)
From: PoD
Subject: Re: Convert matrix to rotate ?
Date: 22 May 2000 18:03:34
Message: <3929B3C4.C15692F@merlin.net.au>
Peter Popov wrote:
> If you mean you can skew an object by rotation, translation and
> scaling, I think you've been mislead. Mr. VanSickle is The One when it
> comes to manipulating the matrix keyword and I trust whatever he says
> on the subject, but this time I doubt he'd disagree. Then again, if I
> am wrong, I will learn something new :)

box{
  0,1
  rotate z*45
  scale <1,2,1>
  rotate z*-45}

PoD.

Post a reply to this message

From: Peter Popov
Date: 22 May 2000 18:45:42
Message: <qtdjisoodpngvfjuqpno5hdq9c6mbonj70@4ax.com>
On Tue, 23 May 2000 07:55:08 +0930, PoD <pod### [at] merlinnetau> wrote:

>box{
>  0,1
>  rotate z*45
>  scale <1,2,1>
>  rotate z*-45}

This is not what I had in mind. This only scales the local coordinate
axes but does not change the angle between them, as skewing does (I
think). Something like matrix <1,1,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0> is more along
the lines of what I have in mind.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet

> This is not what I had in mind. This only scales the local coordinate
> axes but does not change the angle between them, as skewing does

This transform does indeed skew the object, but you'd have to use a bit of trig
to get the skewing along a specific axis.

--
Margus Ramst

Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee

On Tue, 23 May 2000 01:58:30 +0300, Margus Ramst <mar### [at] peakeduee>
wrote:

>> This is not what I had in mind. This only scales the local coordinate
>> axes but does not change the angle between them, as skewing does
>
>This transform does indeed skew the object, but you'd have to use a bit of trig
>to get the skewing along a specific axis.

I see, so shearing comes down to scaling along (an) axe(i)s which are
(is) not perpendicular to the local axes. Am I right in guessing that?
If so, thanks for clearing it up for me! If not, I'd be thankful if
you cleared it up for me <grin>