POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : look_at for objects? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:26:48 EDT (-0400)
  look_at for objects? (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: Josh English
Subject: Re: look_at for objects?
Date: 17 Mar 2000 15:01:00
Message: <38D28FE6.11C7C0FF@spiritone.com>
#macro Orient_Z(v1,v2)
  #local nx = vnormalize(v2-v1);
  #local nz = vnormalize(vcross(nx,y)); // replace "y" with the things local
"up"
  #local ny = vcross(nz,nx)
  matrix <nx.x, nx.y, nx.z,
              ny.x, ny.y, ny.z,
              nz.x, nz.y, nz.z,
              v1.x, v1.y, v1.z>
#end

This takes an object at the origin and places it at point v1 and points it
towards v2.
It is based on John Vansickles Reorient macro. I havne't figured out how to
do autobanking

Josh

--
Josh English
eng### [at] spiritonecom

Post a reply to this message

Wow, several stones can kill this one bird... I count 5 macros that do
basically the same thing!  Thanks for all your help, I got it solved.

btw, if anyone's interested, I'm working on a system that will create rock
walls from height_fields that follow a spline, so that nearly seamless caves
can be made...I'm getting close to finishing it now (but it is nowhere near
perfect)

Andrew C

Andrew Clinton wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there any macro available that will perform on an object the same
> function as the look_at command does in a camera?
>
> In other words, I have an object at <0,0,0> and oriented in the +z
> direction, and I wish to perform an x-rotation then a y-rotation so that
> the object is now pointing at a given point (as in the look_at point for
> the Camera).  I've been using John VanSickle's Reorient macro, but in
> some cases the object receives an undesireable z-rotation so that it
> becomes tilted wrong.
>
> I've been banging my head for a while about this, any help would be
> appreciated!
>
> Andrew C

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000 17:35:19 -0800 Andrew Clinton <cli### [at] ibmnet>
wrote:

>btw, if anyone's interested, I'm working on a system that will create rock
>walls from height_fields that follow a spline, so that nearly seamless caves
>can be made...I'm getting close to finishing it now (but it is nowhere near
>perfect)

  When you're ready, can you post demo images in p.binaries.images? TIA.

http://www.povray.org - Home of the Persistence of Vision Ray Tracer]

Post a reply to this message

v_lookat(P1,P2)<0,-degrees(asin(vnormalize(P2-P1).z)),degrees(asin(vnormalize(P2-P1).y))>#end

--
Mr. Art

"Often the appearance of reality is more important
than the reality of the appearance."
Bill DeWitt 2000