POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Question about atmospheric media Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:30:56 EDT (-0400)
  Question about atmospheric media (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Nieminen Juha
Subject: Question about atmospheric media
Date: 9 Sep 1999 04:20:51
Message: <37d76de3@news.povray.org>
I'm really confused with this media thing. If someone could enlighten me.

  Suppose this simple scene:

//-----------------
global_settings { ambient_light 2 }
camera { location -z*25+y*7 look_at 0 angle 35 }
light_source
{ (-x*10+y*5)*4, 2
  spotlight point_at 0 radius 5 falloff 6
}
plane { y,-2 pigment { checker rgb 1, rgb .5 } }
plane { -z,-2 pigment { checker rgb 1, rgb .5 } }
cylinder { -y*2, y*2, 1 pigment { rgb z } finish { specular .5 } }
//-----------------

  Now I want some media there so that I can see the light beam and the
cylinder casting the shadow on the dust. I add this:

media
{ intervals 20
  scattering { 3, rgb .01 }
  confidence .9999
}

  I get some slightly visible media.
  Now I want to make the media stronger so that I could see a strong bright
white beam of light and a clear shadow of the cylinder on the air.
  I just can't find a way to do it. If I make the color of the scattering
brighter, eg:

  scattering { 3, rgb .05 }

I just get an extremely dark (???) image instead of getting a brighter one.
  If I specify density, that doesn't help either. With a higher density
(eg. density { rgb 4 }) I get a dark image and with a lower density (eg.
density { rgb .1 }) I get an almost invisible media. Modifying the density
seems to work exactly like modifying the color of the scattering.
  Changing the type of scattering (from the type 3 I used here) doesn't help
either. I'm running out of parameters to modify...

  How can I get a bright white beam of light? I just can't figure it out.
With the atmosphere in povray3.0 it was easy.