POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Bounding Question #2 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:18:36 EDT (-0400)
  Bounding Question #2 (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Remco de Korte
Subject: Bounding Question #2
Date: 12 Aug 1999 05:14:20
Message: <37B29014.E5722D1A@xs4all.nl>
I've never really used manual bounding (not in POV) but as I understand it it
can have advantages. I'm wondering if it can help me here:
I have a series of planes with a hole cut out lined up in front of each other so
the camera looks through the holes. This is quite slow to render. Is there a way
to speed it up with bounding?
I know part of the reason why it it slow is in the light_sources I use.
I need them to get a flat light. I didn't want the planes to cast shadows on
each other. Obviously this was before I knew of the no_shadow keyword 8-]
Here is the code:

global_settings{max_trace_level 32}

camera {location<0,0,-20> look_at<0,0,0> angle 30}

sky_sphere {pigment{gradient y
  color_map{[0 rgb<.7,.1,0>][.2 rgb<1,.9,.3>][1 rgb<.1,.15,.2>]}}}

light_source{<-20,20,-.9> color rgb .4}
light_source{<20,20,-.9> color rgb .3 shadowless}
light_source{<-20,-20,-.9> color rgb .2 shadowless}
light_source{<20,-20,-.9> color rgb .1 shadowless}
light_source{<-20,20,5> color rgb .2 shadowless}
light_source{<20,20,5> color rgb .15 shadowless}
light_source{<-20,-20,5> color rgb .1 shadowless}
light_source{<20,-20,5> color rgb .05 shadowless}

#declare diam=1.28;
#declare tt=0;
#while (tt<10)
  difference{
  box{<-100,-100,0><100,100,.01>}
  sphere{0,diam+tt/4}
  pigment{rgb<.4-tt*.045,.3-tt*.0275,.25-tt*.0225>}
  translate<0,0,-6.25-tt>}
  #declare tt=tt+1;
#end

light_source{0*x color rgb 2.5
  area_light  <8, 0, 0> <0, 8,0>
  10, 10 jitter adaptive 3 translate <0,0,-20>}

Regards,

Remco

Post a reply to this message

Remco de Korte <rem### [at] xs4allnl> wrote:
: I have a series of planes with a hole cut out lined up in front of each other so
: the camera looks through the holes. This is quite slow to render. Is there a way
: to speed it up with bounding?

  If you only see the first plane completely and only a little of the other
planes through the hole, you could bound those planes with one box which
covers the hole in the first plane.

> Remco de Korte <rem### [at] xs4allnl> wrote:
> : I have a series of planes with a hole cut out lined up in front of each other so
> : the camera looks through the holes. This is quite slow to render. Is there a way
> : to speed it up with bounding?
>
>   If you only see the first plane completely and only a little of the other
> planes through the hole, you could bound those planes with one box which
> covers the hole in the first plane.

I noticed my story wasn't quite accurate. I talked about planes, but in the code
you can see I used (thin) boxes for that. Would that make any difference?
Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try.

Remco

Post a reply to this message

>I've never really used manual bounding (not in POV) but as I understand it
it
>can have advantages. I'm wondering if it can help me here:
>I have a series of planes with a hole cut out lined up in front of each
other so
>the camera looks through the holes. This is quite slow to render. Is there
a way
>to speed it up with bounding?
>I know part of the reason why it it slow is in the light_sources I use.
>I need them to get a flat light. I didn't want the planes to cast shadows
on
>each other. Obviously this was before I knew of the no_shadow keyword 8-]
>Here is the code:

>light_source{<-20,20,-.9> color rgb .4}
>light_source{<20,20,-.9> color rgb .3 shadowless}
>light_source{<-20,-20,-.9> color rgb .2 shadowless}
>light_source{<20,-20,-.9> color rgb .1 shadowless}
>light_source{<-20,20,5> color rgb .2 shadowless}
>light_source{<20,20,5> color rgb .15 shadowless}
>light_source{<-20,-20,5> color rgb .1 shadowless}
>light_source{<20,-20,5> color rgb .05 shadowless}

One significant speedup would be to reduce the number of light sources, as
each ray from the camera that hits a plane will get checked against each of
these lights to determine the color contribution from the lights.

>light_source{0*x color rgb 2.5
>  area_light  <8, 0, 0> <0, 8,0>
>  10, 10 jitter adaptive 3 translate <0,0,-20>}

This is another major slowdown, as it is the equivalent of up to 100 light
sources.

Mark

Post a reply to this message