POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Bounding Question #2 : Re: Bounding Question #2 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:21:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bounding Question #2
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 13 Aug 1999 06:04:12
Message: <37B3E852.D2D94907@xs4all.nl>
Mark Wagner wrote:

> Remco de Korte wrote in message <37B29014.E5722D1A@xs4all.nl>...
> >I've never really used manual bounding (not in POV) but as I understand it
> it
> >can have advantages. I'm wondering if it can help me here:
> >I have a series of planes with a hole cut out lined up in front of each
> other so
> >the camera looks through the holes. This is quite slow to render. Is there
> a way
> >to speed it up with bounding?
> >I know part of the reason why it it slow is in the light_sources I use.
> >I need them to get a flat light. I didn't want the planes to cast shadows
> on
> >each other. Obviously this was before I knew of the no_shadow keyword 8-]
> >Here is the code:
>
> >light_source{<-20,20,-.9> color rgb .4}
> >light_source{<20,20,-.9> color rgb .3 shadowless}
> >light_source{<-20,-20,-.9> color rgb .2 shadowless}
> >light_source{<20,-20,-.9> color rgb .1 shadowless}
> >light_source{<-20,20,5> color rgb .2 shadowless}
> >light_source{<20,20,5> color rgb .15 shadowless}
> >light_source{<-20,-20,5> color rgb .1 shadowless}
> >light_source{<20,-20,5> color rgb .05 shadowless}
>
> One significant speedup would be to reduce the number of light sources, as
> each ray from the camera that hits a plane will get checked against each of
> these lights to determine the color contribution from the lights.
>
> >light_source{0*x color rgb 2.5
> >  area_light  <8, 0, 0> <0, 8,0>
> >  10, 10 jitter adaptive 3 translate <0,0,-20>}
>
> This is another major slowdown, as it is the equivalent of up to 100 light
> sources.
>
> Mark

Thanks, but as I explained in my message I need the lightsources, unlikely as it
may seem. Even the area light, and even with this much lights and the settings.
I want a flat light, coming from the camera. I tried no_shadow but that doesn't
work the way I wanted. So, I actually need a shadow but it has to be the same
all over. Try rendering it if you want to know what I'm rambling about.

Regards,

Remco