POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Radiosity Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:23:26 EDT (-0400)
  Radiosity (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Nieminen Mika
Subject: Radiosity
Date: 27 Jun 1999 09:14:41
Message: <377623c1@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to find proper radiosity settings for an indoors scene.
However, no matter what I do, I get one of the following:
  1. Very blotchy illumination, like someone was throwing paint on the
walls at random.
  2. Quite smooth illumination but somewhat grainy and extremely annoying
small dark spots in corners.

  I get the second type of illumination with settings which take centuries
to calculate (in my P-II 350MHz). If I use a little bit faster settings
I get the first type of illumination.
  Those dark spots in the second case appear no matter how small
error_bound I specify (I have gone as small as error_bound 0.05).
  The distance_maximum seems to be the key value which controls how much
the image goes to the first or the second case. With large distance_maximum
values the image gets blotchy while with small values it gets grainy.
I have tried several values between 1000 (the room is about 200 units wide)
and 1. With very small values the render time blows up and the walls look
like they had a finish { crand .2 }.
  The rendering time doesn't matter, but I just can't get rid of the
graininess and the annoying dark spots in the corners. The only way I
can do this is setting so bad values that the image gets blotchy, but that's
not a very good solution.
  Does anyone has any good advice?

  It's funny that I got really good values for the radiosity test images
in my web page, but I can't find them for this image (of course the settings
for those radiosity test images do not work with this image).